NIS 2007 Errors - Does anybody else get these?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cactus.Ed, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cactus.Ed

Cactus.Ed Registered Member

Installed NIS 2007, like it so far. I found some errors in the event log, tech support told me to reinstall. Still getting errors. Anybody else get this error?

In the Event Viewer, Application log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SymAppCore
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 10/12/2006
    Time: 11:02:56
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SymAppCore ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

TIA,

nate

2. ink

ink Registered Member

the information you provided has nothing to help, you'd better contact symantec online again, but may no help if uninstall don't work.

3. Cactus.Ed

Huh??

4. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Do you have other antivirus/firewall installed or anyother security app? There may be some conflict.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I was poking around a little on the error you mention and it seems to be a mysterious one that is being reported on quite a few software support site for various products and not just AV ones.

Anyway, based on what I am seeing and the fact that there clearly is not a lot of definite detail on this error, I am going to venture to guess that your problem may be not necessarily from the AV product but possibly a symptom of another root cause.

I would say that either:

Your registry has some garbage in it or is corrupted possibly from other products you have installed / uninstalled in the past.

You have some DLLs that were replaced by some other product that are not playing nice

You are possibly infected with some type of spyware/malware

You have some corruption within your windows networking compnents or MDAC

You have some other application currently loaded that is in conflict.

Anyway, I wish I could be of more help to you but there just isn't much details for this situation and I tried to put together all possibilities based on various reports of these messages.

If I were you I think I would remove the product completely, run some registry cleaner after I made sure that I removed all unwanted apps from my system and deleted all folders / files possibly left over from previous apps. Then do all current MS updates on the OS. After that try to re-install the product and see if that takes care of the errors. Aside from all of this, it may be wise to consider a fresh install of the OS or even revert to a known good system image if you have one. While I am not sure what the exact cause of your problem is, I definately feel the integrity of your OS may be lacking and if thats the case you may find further issues with other apps as well.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

6. noway

noway Registered Member

It's not an error, it's information. Don't worry about it. As usual Symantec just forgot to fix these event log informations before releasing the product. Seen it in many Norton products over the years. A symptom of poor quality control. Their suggestion to reinstall is a canned response to every problem under the sun. If you complained that the WEATHER outside was rainy, there would be some Symantec tech out there somewhere that would tell you to reinstall.

7. Atomic_Ed

I think I disagree with you on this one. On the few PCs I have worked on running the NIS 2007, I have not seen these messages in the event logs on any of them. I still feel there just may be something on his computer that needs attention. Not saying I disagree with you on their lack of QC, just that I am not seeing this on other systems running the new package without problems.

8. Cactus.Ed

No kidding, that's all the Symantec guys can say. After 2 reinstalls using all their tools, reg cleaning in between and clean boots to verify conflicting drivers I have decided to return the product. Back to Nod32, Now I just need to find a firewall.....

-nate

9. Cactus.Ed

I appreciate your help. My system was in clean, lean, latest driver form until I installed NIS 2007. No other AV/Firewall/Spyware software is on the machine. Tried everything from reg cleaner(s), SFC, un/reinstall, diagnostic boots, all forms of online spy/malware/virus scans to winsock repair. It is times like this when you learn which companies have good support and which one are lacking. Symantec might have a good product, but their tech support does not have a clue. There is no way I'm going to pay for premium support.

I am going to do a reinstall of the OS just to get rid of the Symantec items. I keep a backup image of a fresh XP Pro + apps install sitting on an unplugged bootable hard drive just for emergencies. Should only take 20min to format and copy the image to the main drive.

-nate

10. Atomic_Ed

I don't blame you for doing the clean load of the system. I believe thats the best way to clean out old scamantec traces. Plus it will ensure if there was anything glitchy in the system it should be resolved anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.