NIS 2006 vs NIS 2005 Performance?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Atomic_Ed, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

We all know that Norton is big, both in program and update. I perform all tests with an AS LOADED (retail MSFT CD) image file of WXP Pro SP1 to eliminate any possibility of software conflict. The test machine is an AMD 64 3000 Venice with 1GB RAM, overclocked to 3800 speed (cool n quiet OFF). I also use Super Pi and other number crunching and I/O benchmarks to test the AV.

Summary of test. Norton 2005 will slow down the system throughput like read/write speed, system responsiveness, and Super Pi (good real world number crunching test). The speed performance is average to slightly below average. Other well-known AV solutions that run significantly faster under the same setup include McAfee Corporate 8.0i and NOD32.

I also performed these same tests with my tweaked version of WXP SP1 and ZA Pro 4.5.594.000. Again, the results were similar to the as loaded image file of WXP SP1. NOD32...quickest. McAfee 8.0i...faster than average. Norton...average.

If your system exhibits no performance hit with Norton, then you probably have so much garbage running in the background that you cannot notice the effect of Norton. I have 9 running processes with the tweaked version of WXP SP1 (includes ZA Pro 4.5).

2. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Actually my parents 2nd machine is a brand new media centre, it has NIS 2006 on it. The older PC with 256mb of ram, is an Acer P4 2.4ghz. The machine was just formatted and upgraded to Windows Media Edition. It had 2005, now it has 2006.

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Sorry but, as you're talking about Nav itself, and not NIS, I can say that NAV 2006 is one of the lightest Avs I've ever seen, if not the lighest (Nod32 is the only one I've trialed that is more light): 10-20 000 in memory since install (most of the processes are 100-500 k only, only ccapp is between 5-15 000), but above all, NO COMPUTER SLOW DOWN :eek: .

Anyway, reguarding memory use, I assume it's a biased and misleading criteria, because some Av I've trialed before were very low in memory, but slowing down my machine to a crawl (I couldn't open a folder or a CD without waiting 1 or 2 mn, the computer was like frozen); theses kind of Avs make you happy when opening task manager, sure, but what counts is the real life impact on the computer use...

On both side, NAV 2006 is surprising :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  4. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

There's more to performance than just memory load.

Firefox will normally pull 50MB, yet it is so much faster than IE.

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Just thought I would update my post since I went ahead an bought the NIS 2006 package last night. If you qualify for the upgrade price it was only $49.99 and they throw in password manager program free as well. They also had a 2 year updates option for $69.99, which means the whole suite comes out to only $34.99 per / year. Not bad compared to buying just about any other products out there that I saw which would have costed much more.

It installed without a hitch and is working nicely so far. In reference to the performance compared to NIS2005, well it is very close but maybe just the slightest hair heavier. The ram usage appears to be the same as the 2005 was.

Overall I think it is a decent package for the money. Time will tell how it does for me in the longrun but so far I am impressed with it.

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Is this a payed Symantec commercial ?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

No more a commercial for symantec than other posts on the forum for Nod/Kav/BD or some of the other av products.

8. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I don't think it's a commercial. Symantec just seems to be doing things better (finally) than what they were, and people are starting to take a look at them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.