NIS 2006 or KIS 6.0 or NOD32 + Outpost?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Birdman, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2006 and I'm looking to ditch it. I'm trying to decide between Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 or a combination of NOD32 AV + Outpost Firewall.

How does Kaspersky's FIREWALL compare to Outpost's?

I like the "All-in-One" package available in SECURITY SUITES...but how does Kaspersky IS 6.0 compare to Norton IS 2006?

Any info/advice/suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

2. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

If you use parental control of NIS2006, there is no parental control in KIS 6. And
    settings of KIS more complicated than NIS.

3. Birdman

Actually I don't use the Parental Control feature in NIS.

How does Kaspersky's Firewall and Anti-Spam compare to that of NIS 6.0o_O

I've read elsewhere that Kaspersky Firewall is not as solid as Outpost or Norton. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I just purchased a laptop a few weeks ago, it came with NIS 2006, I uninstalled that straight away and am now using Nod32 and Jetico firewall. So far so good. :cool:
    In my oppinion; the firewall protection provided by jetico is better than NIS, and Nod's AV is better than NIS's AV.
    Nod32 and jetico firewall is also very light on resources too.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

kspersky's firewall should be ok if u dont use p2p. otherwise stick to nod32 + outpost and wait til the new version of antihacker is released if u still wish to use KIS.

6. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I use KIS 6.00.300 with P2P apps. I use Bitcomet, utorrent, emule, DC++ , haven't recognized any problem with them. The only thing you must do is not use stealth mode.

7. WSFuser

does the firewall still protect you while not in stealth mode? still seems like it should be fixed.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, of course it protects you, do you honestly think that FW's without stealth is not going to protect your pc? Not using stealth is often going to improve your connection, if you use a router & in connection with P2P Onlinegaming etc.

Birdman

FYI, the FW in KIS also have a gaming setting for onlinegaming, if you decide to try KIS 6.0, then feel free to contact me at the forum:http://forum.kaspersky.com/, i would be happy to help you with a smooth transition.:)

9. WSFuser

whats the difference with and without stealth mode tho?

10. Birdman

Thanks. I installed KIS 6.0 (trial) after finally removing NIS 2006 and all the junk left behind. I'm liking what I see thus far. except the Anti-hacker firewall is a bit confusing. I will visit that forum and seek settings help for a beginner KIS user like me.

I like it much better than NIS! :)

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Stealth mode means that your computer is completely invisible and if a hacker tries to check the internet for computers with open ports , your computer will not answer to this hacker response and thus it remains invisible just like the machine is turned off .

The other mode will not make your computer invisible and your computer will tell the hacker , Yes , I am here.

In both modes if you have the firewall enabled you will be protected . And don't forget about the Intrusion detection system

12. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

with firewall stealth mode -> there is no computer
    with firewall w/o stealth mode -> yes there is a computer but all ports closed
    no firewall -> there is a computer with all ports open ;)

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

My vote will goto NIS2006 first and nod32+outpost second.....
    NIS 2006 is a complete protection suite and does the thing very well,i am using it and its very light on the pc,its spyware+anti-spyware+firewall+anti-spam are far better than kaspersky...
    Btw,kis's anti-spam isn't very good and anti-spy does have problems with sites....
    I would encourage you to stay with NIS2006.

14. Don Pelotas

Your advice seems to have fallen on deaf ears........he's already a Kaspersky customer.:)

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Excuse me but his first post states :
    I'm currently using Norton Internet Security 2006 and I'm looking to ditch it. I'm trying to decide between Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 or a combination of NOD32 AV + Outpost Firewall

The fact currently using and trying to decide make all people here think he is Norton/Symantec customer . :D

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

No, I think Don may have mixed up with NIS and KIS. Sometimes, I also mix them up by just a glance. The abbreviations looks very alike. :p

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don's words:

Your advice seems to have fallen on deaf ears........he's already a Kaspersky customer

Is Kaspersky abbreviation ? :D :D :D

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

No...

I mean when Don saw Legendkiller wrote this:

he may just mistaken Legendkiller to recommend staying with KIS2006, as both are ...IS2006

19. Don Pelotas

I simply do not have your brain capacity, monsieur HiTech_boy, but what i do know is this: He bought a KIS license today............he wanted quality i guess. ;) :D

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Actually PC without firewall have all ports closed. You can test PC online without firewall and the result may be: all ports closed, then in fact firewall provides layer protection.
    Trojan can not just open port at will, so even PC without firewall, but properly set up, can be "safe". There has to be vulnerable aplication with open port or another one listening.

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is something new , Don and that's exactly what you needed to add in your previous post :p

22. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Are you sure that windows's own firewall didn't works?

23. Birdman

Don is right. I did purchase a Kaspersky license today and thus far I like it better than Norton. It also doesn't hurt that there are 7 less services running on start-up than Symantec/Norton. Although the Anti-Spam is not as good as Norton, but overall it is more superior in every way. :)

24. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

NIS2006? Is it a joke? ;/

You can compare NOD32 and Kaspersky, but include NOS2005 is a nonsense. Antivir, AVG, Dr.Web, BitDefender, Avast... You have so many options, BUT NIS2006.

Norton/Symantec have no good this but the market.

25. WSFuser

not to get too OT, but how does KIS' stealth mode conflict with p2p anyways?

LnS and Outpost can stealth your comp too but p2p stays functional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.