Nirsoft utilities - weird behaviour

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Zeno2, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeno2

Zeno2 Registered Member

Just wonder if any of you experienced the same weird behaviour.
    It's the known site : Nirsoft (israeli programmer Nir Sofer) nirsoft.net which has many interesting utilities.

Recently, downloading latest versions of some password utilities, directly from main site, both Spyware Doctor, Ewido(AVG Antispyware) and McAfee VirusScan Corporate, all show and warn, beside the expression "Unwanted Software" or Crack-xxx, that many of them contain trojans and show the name.

I downloaded few times, directly from nirsoft, same thing. I mailed to developer, got no response.

Please comment your experiences.
    I was a fan of some Nirsoft utilities, but now, I abandoned them after recent weird experiences.

Thank you.

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Many of his programs are recognized as hacking tools by some AV. That doesn't mean they're inherently harmful. A util that reads windows protected storage will share similar code to a trojan that does the same. You should abandon McAfee AV, not Nir's tools. :D

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Yeah
    Its not the tools per se but what uses they can be put to by malware.

There has been lots of discussions at many places re detecting these outright as malware some pro some anti.

AFAICR BOClean, amongst others, wipes them if it can. PSC feels very strongly about nirsoft.

My Avira, with med. heuristics and Ewido doesn't blink, code similarities or not when my disc is scanned. (although the files are zipped and just used when needed.)

MAke sure you are on the right site.
    There are several very useful tools :shifty: heh.

lol

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Nirsoft Utilities always been safe. :thumb: Likely always will. LoL

AS & AV's, some of them will alert because a few of the tools operate with methods that can be of concern if used improperly. That's all there is to it.

5. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I've used Nirsoft utilities for a long time without any problems. Also, depending on the type of utility, as stated by others, AS & AV scanners will sometimes flag them as unwanted, etc. For example, my A-Squared scanner flags NOD32 setup program as a heuristic bomb. When I used Avast AV it flagged several of my AS programs as malware. I tried Online Armor and NOD32 flagged it as a heuristic virus. While trialing Bitdefender it flagged several text files as viruses (were actually articles about viruses and malware, nothing more). Since some of these programs are stealth-type utilities, it isn't unusual for them to get flagged as potential malware. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nirsoft is a reputable company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.