NIC Problems?!?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jher, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jher

Jher Registered Member

I am using the current version of Acronis True Image 8.0 (791). But I am still having problems with network access when booting with the rescue CD.

The software correctly detects the NIC (Broadcom 440X) but is not able to use ist (no "Computers near me").

Is it possible to solve this problem? I assume it is a NIC-driver problem.

With regards
    J. Hergeth

2. g33k

g33k Registered Member

I have a similar issue with the Broadcom NetXtreme 570X NIC's in my rackmount machines. I opened a support issue with Acronis back in October 2004 regarding this issue. After some communication back and forth, I was able to come up with a temporary workaround:

Press F11 when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

Once you're at a command prompt, issue the following command:
    asamba dhcp -n

you may have to do this several times before it'll obtain a lease on an IP address.

Once you have obtained an IP address, type "exit" to start TrueImage.

I have not heard back from Acronis support since I came up with the "temporary" workaround back in October 2004, even though I communicated that I wanted a more permanent fix; thus, I still consider this an open issue. A couple of inquiries to the Acronis support department since October regarding my issue (#154184) have went unanswered.

Maybe this venue will give this issue additional attention.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jher,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Pleae try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and if it doesn't help please create the sysinfo.txt file (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the details). Also please while you are still in the same console where you generated the sysinfo.txt file (# prompt) please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

Send the output after each of the commands to support@acronis.com;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskettes to support@acronis.com. Please give the link to this thread in the letter and indicate in the subject that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. sometimes the computers don't show up in 'computers near me', but have you tried typing \\computername\sharename\ into the 'save as' location field?

also, have you tried using a fixed ip and configuring the network interface via the tools menu? i hate dhcp.

5. Jher

Jher Registered Member

Yesterday I received an email from Acronis support, in which they suggested the "acpi=off noacpi" workaround.

Today I tried this on two systems and it worked :D ! I could log in the Windows network, write images on network drives and open already written images.
    I had to manually set up an IP and also had to wait about one minute after that for the "Systems near me" being filled with information from my domain.

So, if there would be a way to burn the "acpi=off noacpi" and the fixed IP on the CD, I would be lucky.
    I remeber that there was an option to put the rescue programs also on floppy disks. Is this possible? Could they be easily patched with the information above?

Thanks for all your suggestions,

J. Hergeth

6. Acronis Support

Hello Jher,

We are glad to hear the problem is solved and you are able to use Acronis True Image. Could you please send me a private message with your Acronis request # and I will help you with the "acpi=off noapic" CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Jher

Jher Registered Member

Hello out there,

unfortunately the problem is not really solved. :doubt:

After some search in the internet it seems to me that my problem is a well known problem when using the Linux V2.4 kernel. It is told to be solved in the 2.6 kernel.(http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0405.1/1807.html)

I told this several times the Acronis support, but did not get a further response after the standard "noapic....". I am a little bit angry :mad: as I now wait for more then 3 weeks for a simple answer [not a solution, just an answer!]).

From what I understand from the web (see link), it might be a possible solution to use the NIC driver from 2.6 with the 2.4 kernel?!?

Thanks for your help,

J, Hergeth

8. Acronis Support

Hello Jher,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response. Could you please let me know your Acronis request # that was sent to you in autoreply to your first letter? I will find the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Jher

Jher Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

my request# is:

I would be luky, if you could help me.

J. Hergeth

10. Acronis Support

Hello Jher,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I have found your letter. Daniel will contact you soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.