NFS client in Windows 7 Pro or better:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

NFS aka network file system is much better in my opinion for sharing files. Windows CIFS/Samba has many security holes and you can lock down your file access with NFS.

I've been looking for a free windows nfs client for ages but only the 2k3/2k8 servers had them but no longer. Installing the NFS client in Windows 7 is a breeze. Just add the nfs client and administration service in programs and features.

You can map a network drive or you can mount it with ease in the dos prompt:
    mount [options] //nfs-server-unc-name/share-name [drive letter]

Make sure you set your permissions properly on your NFS server so you don't run into access issues. To ensure you have no permissions problems edit your local security policy:

Let Everyone permissions to apply to anonymous users in Security Options

Here is how I mounted my NFS FreeNAS server:

mount \\192.168.1.2\mnt\NASData2\\ z:

I use xbmc to play my movies and with NFS compared to CIFS/Samba it is almost like playing the file on your local machine. There is no real caching that I have seen which is great. Setup your own Freenas/Openfiler box and share all your DVD's and music with little effort.

I scoured forums around the Internet for hours to solve a few issues and you benefit from it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.