Nforce 3 Sata Raid??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by groebuck, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groebuck

groebuck Registered Member

Okay I have the latest build and the latest rescue CD made from that build -
    (786 build).

I can image my main drive (a single WD Sata drive) off to my ITE raid 0 set, but when I go into the rescue CD to restore that on to my new set of hard drives (2 Maxtor Sata drives set in Raid 0 on the Nvidia Nforce 3 raid controller) - I get the error messages on start up about ata1 and ata2 not responding in 30 second, then I get into TI. When I click restore the dialog box pops up (something about scanning drives or something) and it jussssssst sits there. I left it for 20 mins and it still just sat there....

the chipset is a socket 754 Nforce 3 250 mobo - it's not that new by any means - can I get a version that works with it?? Please??

BTW the TI rescue CD sees the ITE raid (2 ide raided drives) just fine and then I see about 24 cd roms (lettered d-z) but I don't see my nvidia raid set at all....

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello groebuck,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that the current version of Acronis True Image does not support NVidia RAID when you boot from Acronis Bootable CD. We expect this feature to be implemented in future versions. The problem is that at present there are no open source drivers for NVidia RAID available.
    As for the incorrect CD drives displaying please make sure that you use the latest build avaialbe at our site http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/. If the problem persists please contact support@acronis.com and send us the sysinfo.txt file (see here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317).

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

3. groebuck

groebuck Registered Member

Is this scenario possible then ? Image my current drive to the ide raid array -

install new raid set then install XP and then acronis - image new raid set through acrois in xp to restore the os to it's previous state?

I'm going to try it but figured I would ask first.

4. miffed

miffed Guest

Would Acronis refund my money then? I promise I'll purchase again when implement working support for Nvidia RAID

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, groebuck

I did a simler thing with Ti6 as then there was very little support for SATA.

I install XP on a PATA HDD with just a few drivers ie chipset and raid drivers [SiliconImage 3112 controllers] so XP could see the Raid0 which in turn T6 used Windows drivers [Si 3122] to see the Raid.

Then I use to use that PATA HDD with XP to create all my Image of my SATA Raid0, and restore with, all the Images where stored on the on the PATA.

Take care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, miffed

Andrew is only talking about Nvidia Nforce3 in Raid, it is because SiliconImage have not made the Controller open yet.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Conrad

Conrad Registered Member

I have had a similar experience here.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 mobo.
    NVidia RAID array.

First scenerio it seemed that Acronis TI8 build 774 backed up my RAID 0 array just fine (2 Raptor-WD360GD hard drives) to a third SATA Raptor (WD740GD).

I decided to see if Acronis would restore the image.

It restored the image to one of the hard drives in the RAID array and the second seemed to have disappeared. I had to disable the RAID array in BIOS to get the computer to boot.

Now I've got the single 74 gig raptor as the primary drive and booting with ATI8 Build 774 or 786 it won't recognize the nVidia RAID array I've now got configured as drive D:

It seems to see the array but says its not a valid backup location.

I've got PowerQuest DriveImage5 and it recognizes and backs up to the RAID array on D: just fine.

Go figure.

Later, Conrad

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  8. Conrad

Conrad Registered Member

Tests confirmed.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 mobo.
    C: Active Primary SATA Raptor (WD740GD)
    D: NVidia RAID 0 array 2 Raptors (WD360GD)

PowerQuest DriveImage 5

Backed up C: to D: then restored successfully from the array back to C: and it took less than ten minutes each way. (about 13gb of data 100% full compression)

DriveImage5 uses 2 disks. One boot floppy and one program floppy.

This program was written before WindowsXP, before nForce mobos and before nVidia RAID.

DriveImage 7 doesn't work.
    Acronis TrueImage 8 doesn't work.

Makes me wish I had tried DI5 while I still had my RAID array as the active primary drive.

Later, Conrad

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Conrad

Have you created a "Safe" version of the TI boot rescue CD and tried restoring from that? It uses a combination of BIOS and DOS to access the hard disk controllers rather than the Linux device drivers on the "Full" version rescue CD.

Regards

10. Conrad

Conrad Registered Member

Menorcaman,

I've tried creating a backup image with the "Safe" version CD from Build 786.

The Image Archive Creation screen allows folder and file selection on the RAID array but when I enter a name for the new backup the "Next" button does not light up to allow the process to continue.

PS....Tried another experiment. Created the image backup within Windows. Then used the "Safe" version boot CD to restore the image and it worked.

I hope this helps somebody.

Later, Conrad

11. Menorcaman

Hi Conrad

Glad to hear that you were able to restore your RAID 0 array using the "Safe" boot CD. I guess it doesn't really matter how you journey there as long as you arrive safely!!

Regards

12. Rainbird

Rainbird Registered Member

Hi,
    did you try the "save" Floppy? I had the same problem and I now can restore Images unter TI 8 built 768 perfectly well.

13. Samiam_68

Samiam_68 Guest

Does the "Safe" mode allow you to restore from an external USB drive?

Thanks.

14. Menorcaman

Hi

Yes and no. Because the "safe" boot rescue CD relies on BIOS functions and DOS, it depends on the make/model of the motherboard as to whether or not TI's safe recovery mode can detect the USB connection.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.