Next/Final steps?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cosmo32, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

If this new thread is in the wrong forum the MODS can move it freely.
    I have followed most of ThomadC's thread in the ?BE? threads.
    Sadly, my old version 2.70.39/1.0.15 code reacted poorly.

The RAS/RAC was removed from my RUN/Programs menu. Fine. The RAS service remained active! Fixed local after the party.
    Oddly, this uninstall also took away my local client NOD32 (which remains installed and active from all appearances) from the same menu(?). I can try Windows Add/Remove here, but I see nothing to remove(?).

I still have c:\Mirror. It is fully populated. Can I just delete it?
    My c:\ESET directory is empty except for some dot-txt files and System Inspector.

I have NOT yet traversed the registry for /ESET/ keys. I expect to find them in place.

I have stopped further ESET takedown/uninstall temporarily.

The machine now runs MSSE2 for temp protection.

Future: Eventually, I would like to install ESET BE v4.0 A/V. My license allows this.

Happy to hear/read next steps, suggestions, opinions. NO. An OS rebuild is not in the cards at all ATM! Thank you, but, NO Thank you.

Not really carping! Just a bit confused at the state of affairs I now see during my server's "Honeymoon" phase.

My remaining V2.7 XP clients (3) are still happily working and staying fully up to date in their {auto-magic} mode!

So. No harm, no foul.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

It sounds to me like it is time to upgrade. First we need to remove the remaining remnants of ESET. Download and run the ESET removal tool in safe mode. Reboot into normal mode and follow this guide to get the latest versions of the ESET Remote Administrator Server / Console. You will still be able to manage and update your 2.7 clients from within the new console. The mirror will most likely need to be adjusted via a change in the default ports. Then you can create a package and get your clients upgraded as well.

3. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

ThomasC,
    Thank you again for your reply. I believe we are talking over/under each other.
    I did use the ESET Uninstaller tool you linked to. It was run from an F8 Safe Mode. I did get the 1st confirm screen. Answered Y. The tool ran(?) The final screen indicated that the tool found NO ESET SW installed. However, when I rebooted/restarted my server and waited (it is old and reboots do take quite awhile!); I found:
    Start/Run NOD32 Remote Admin/RAS-RAC section gone.
    Start/Run NOD32 Client section gone.
    NOD32 client was operational (System Tray Icon active).
    NOD32 Remote Admin Service remained activated.
    NOD32 ESET Kernal Service remained activated.
    C:\Mirror directory was still present and contained current (last) ESET files.

I have subsequently deleted (manually) the c:\Mirror directory; AND, somewhat magically, the ESET NOD32 A/V client has disappeared! The C:\ESET directory appears to be clean, except for System Inspector.

I do plan to run System Inspector today and save the log file. I am willing to share/send the file as necessary.

I have not yet peeked into the Registry to see what ESET stuff may still be present.

ESET V4.x BE installation is now pending. No harm, no foul. The machine now uses Windows 2003 Server (standard edition) SP1 - updated to SP2 - updated w/110 critical updates. I believe my new OS is current within its' realm.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

It sounds like we have reached the same end point of a newly installed setup. Version 4.x should be fine on your new OS. It will be, “interesting” to see how the newly upgraded server OS behaves. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.