Next best alternative to ThreatFire (Symantec to Acquire PC Tools)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HAN, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

That is the stupidest thing I've heard. All they have to do is rebrand Norton for Asia Pacific. They can develop similar software in-house. It would have cost less than $300 million. What on earth were they thinking?

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally agree with you. Moreover no body even knows the difference between the pirated and legal software in these countries. People can,t/ don,t pay even a few dollars for the software.

In this scenario, this column is totally baseless.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Add Albania to those countries:D

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There must be many more. All thirld world countries infact plus more from other areas.

7. karad

karad Registered Member

Not being a particular fan of Symantec i quickly changed Threatfire (which i liked a lot) for Mamutu trial a couple of weeks ago and i think i'll keep it in the end. No spykes, 28kb max for both processes,very simple,no need to check with Help for anything,very customizable.It integrates perfectly with my other security programs,mainly Comodo Defense+ enabled fully to paranoid state,GeSWall free and Boclean. Not a glitch,they are informed of each other and cooperate very well.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Here is a significant paragraph from that article...

If Symantec has one iota of security & business acumen, they will replace Norton Antibot with Threatfire because...

+++Security-wise -- TF offers equal or superior protection to Norton Antibot, & is much more configurable and flexible.

+++Business-wise -- Norton Antibot is a re-branded version of Primary Response SafeConnect, and is licensed from Sana Security (PRSC). I doubt that Symantec will continue to pay license fees for Antibot when they own TF, a program with equal or better capabilities.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Totally agree. Mamutu is an excellent behavior blocker. Stable. Fast. Easy on resources. Excellent Help files. Good support forum.

10. vijayind

UnOfficially, I think Symantec wants to retain both code and talent of PC Tools.So they're playing out such silly statements and haven't touched PC tools product line yet.

Once they get the people they need into bullet-proof contracts, You will see the the Blue PCT logo changed to Yellow ;)

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

$300 million / 200 staff = $ 1.5 million / staff member...rather expensive.

12. vijayind

Huangker, even after the buyout. Symantec has the company & code , but not the people. They can take the pay-packet and leave.
    I am guessing, some important people whom Symantec wants to retain resent the Symantec way-of-work. So to appease them, you release a statement "PC Tools shall be independent and for Third World". And then, when they sign their new employee contracts :ouch: SNAP !!
    They will be turned into yellow fold.

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

If you really want to buy someone, you can headhunt them and offer multiples what they are getting paid at PCTools and it will still cost less than $300 million. If they refuse the Symantec offer, then how Symantec buying the company going to secure them? Sure you can engage in misleading and unethical conduct but (as shown time and time again with Digg and Flickr) they will just leave. You can't cage people with contracts. If that is Symantec's plan, then it is an even more stupid idea than paying $300 million to buy 'poor man's Norton'.

14. vijayind

From my experience in grass-hopping in tech industry, I can tell you this.
    2-3 years is more than enough for any experienced manager to milk the talented and train a new crop.
    Thats what I think Symantec is looking at. 2-3 years, after which the hot shots will not be omni-powerful.

15. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It is still cheaper and easier to just offer more money and headhunt. Apart from TF, its not like PCTools have fantastic code.

16. vijayind

Hmm... Its still a mystery at large :D

17. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I'll give a thumbs up :thumb: to Mamutu. It's replaced PRSC and ThreatFire on my machines. As has been said, it's a light running program. It does what I want and plays well with the rest of my security apps. I particularly like the ability to customize which behaviors to allow/disallow with active processes. Nicely done!

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote. I tried in these days just them: no comparison imo, Mamutu wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.