"Newspaper Virus"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by djackino, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djackino

djackino Registered Member

I have twice picked up malware viruses from reputable newspaper sites just by clicking on a story link. The viruses were not picked up by real-time ESET NOD scanner. These malware viruses have been of the type "Your computer is infected" and then a "scanning box" comes up and "scans" the system in 5 seconds, finding "alleged viruses" - the boxes cannot be closed by the usual methods.

Both times I was able to get into task manager, kill all the iexpore processes, and (in one case) remove the offending registry entries in the RUN and RUNONCE folders. Nothing else running looked suspicious.

I immediately did a full scan and nothing is found. I am running ESET 4.0.424.0, Virus Defs current at 5971, Windows XP SP 3.

Is it possible the newspaper's website is infected and pushing down viruses by clicking on a story link?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Everything's possible. Please submit the suspicious file to ESET as per the instructions here.

3. djackino

I don't have any suspicious file to submit.

Edit: Nothing was found by ESET and there wasn't any odd DLLs running under task manager.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you share a link to the newspaper in question? For security reasons, use an obfuscated form where "http:" will be replaced with "hxxp:".

5. djackino

hxxp://www.XXXXXXXXXXXX.com - the story that loaded the malware was on a fire at the Phoenicia library.
    Snip: url noted and removed from here

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.