News from the Front

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bill U, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

Mainly good news re. v. 10
    I'm one of those who barely survived the upgrade from v.8 to v.9. So it was with some trepidation that I installed v.10. I am using Vista, so that's what pushed me to do it. Here's what I noticed, mainly good things.

* It installed without difficulty. I didn't have to pull any of those Vista tricks related to compatibility or install as Administrator. Thankfully it just installed.

* It seems to be faster. I imaged the C: partition which is 11 Gb used on a 40 Gb partition. It created a 5.2 Gb file. It took 6 minutes to create the file and to validate it. Pretty quick. This was creating the new image file on a second internal hard drive.

* I created that new image using a new feature called backup locations. These locations give at least some of the functionality of Secure Zone but the files are still available to the file system. I deleted that backup location, I was playing around, but keeping the .tib file and it wasn't harmed.

* I restored the C: partition using the .tib file that I had been monkeying around with (see above). From Vista I chose Recover and answered the questions about which archive and where to put it. Once I clicked on the Reboot button, it took 2 minutes to boot to True Image and 4 minutes to restore the image (no validation). Get this, once I gave it permission to reboot, it booted to TrueImage, restored the partition, and booted back to Vista without me touching anything. A definite improvement.

* Mounting worked without any difficulty. This had been problematic with Vista.

* There is something new called Slice. I doubleclicked on the .tib file and it opened a "slice". I was able to explore the files and copy a file from there to another location. I was able to do this without mounting the file.

* Everything I've tried using older v.9 files has worked, so far at least there are no compatibility issues.

* The only negative that I've found is this. When creating the image the status bar for total progress showed progress for the task of creating the image. When it began validating the image, it started over. The status bar for the task just seemed to show half the progress of the total progress bar, no matter what. This reminded me of problems when v.9 first came out.

All in all I'm a happy camper. Eventually I'll look for other features but the important stuff seems to be just fine.

Bill

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

That's very encouraging to hear, Bill. Thanks for posting it. Which Vista are you using, RC 1 or 2?

3. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

I've got RC2. I managed to get the most recent version before they shut it down.
    Bill

4. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

As Ralphie suggested that is "very encouraging". However, as I suspect most of us will be using xp for sometime until Vista proves itself, I am curious for now, how ATI 10 works with xpo_O

I have been reading the numerous posts and they scare me. So for now I'm sticking with 9.1 and xp. But I appreciate your courage using Vista and ATI 10. You dare to go where I fear.....you are a pioneer.......good for you!!!

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Only today I d/l RC1 just to see how TI would handle it. When I went to instal Vista I found out it requires at least 512mb ram. My desktop has only 256mb.
    When I sum up the courage I'll try it on my laptop which has 512mb. I really curious to see if I can get TI ver. 9 to run on it.

6. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

I was able to use v.9 on Vista. I created an image while in Vista and restored it using the recovery disk. I didn't test extensively but the only thing I found that did not work, was mounting an image. If you can live without mounting images, you probably will have no trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.