Newly-installed Truecrypt hidden os can't boot after decoy os installation

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Kumquat74, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Kumquat74

Kumquat74 Registered Member

Yes, I thought about thoroughly nuking the drive. Would have thought that Partition Wizard easily could do the job. Now I'm frankly beginning to doubt the quality of its work when wiping sectors, which is a bit unsettling. I always stick to 1-pass when wiping, as it's my understanding that 3-, 7- and 35-pass were more needed with floppy disks and decades old tape drives, not modern harddrives.

Before reading your last reply, I got the idea that perhaps restoring the unencrypted donor OS to the 'old' drive and then encrypting it would solve the problem with no bootable partition + even make the hidden OS bootable. Doing this did make the decoy OS bootable, but returned the following on entering the hidden OS password:

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."
    If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

And the exact same happened once again after restoring the sector image of partition 2.

Sure there's been a hardware change, but I'd think that Windows would be content with exact copies of the partitions from the 'new' drive. And just how am I supposed to let Windows repair things when the data is encrypted? I wouldn't even like to do that with an encrypted volume mounted and running.

I then connected the drive to another computer running TC, but it did not detect any TC volumes on it or accept the passwords. Weird.

So, over to your suggestion:

The cleaning and formatting took many hours to complete. After that, I restored (sector-by-sector) onto it the working partitions 1 and 2 from the 'new' drive. Then I wanted to write the TC bootloader onto the drive, but when the TC rescue disk loaded, it said: Error: No bootable partition found. After writing the TC bootloader and restarting, the same error message is shown. And likewise when pressing Esc in the bootloader. Restoring the volume header changed nothing.

Could this perhaps be because I have restored the contents of the 'new' (working) drive the wrong way? Wouldn't know how else to do it, as the C partition is also encrypted.

EDIT: Now that the drive has been 'cleaned', maybe I should try to write the unencrypted donor OS once again and then create a hidden + decoy OS from scratch?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.