Newish to Linux your thoughts on this distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ianmcqui, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianmcqui

ianmcqui Registered Member

Hi, like I said I'm fairly new to the Linux world and have been trying different distro's for months now.

Here's the question has anyone had any experience with Robolinux?

Iv'e been running it now for about three months and my W7 Ultimate licensed copy is just sat there, it's one distro I'm liking a lot.

Iv'e searched the forums and there is no mention of it to make sure I didn't duplicate a thread.

The company that makes it say it is a 'secure coded' Debian based distro and cannot be affected in anyway by malware!

So guys your thoughts please.

Regards, Ian.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Seems to me like a Quack.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is it a joke ?

4. ianmcqui

Hi bud, well he does list himself as a veterinary in his company bio!

Veterinary's in my opinion have to have a fair few brain cells to pass their exams
    so, he could be into programming as well.

All I can say is it looks good, it has a nice feel to it and it's as fast today as the day I installed it.

Unlike Windows my browser never wanders if you know what I mean.

Iv'e done three installs of it so far, my machine as the only OS and two as dual boot.

Ta for the reply, let me know if you try it.

5. mattdocs12345

Yeah sure but if this was truely a Linux distro that cannot be bypassed by malware then he wouldn't work as a vet but instead he would be on a million dollar contract with the NSA and most likely with a huge gag order on his lips to not ever release this.

You don't understand. Anything that is connected to the internet and given enough time can be hacked into. NSA even finds ways to hack into systems that are kept disconnected from the internet.
    So to say that something cannot be hacked is a Quack in the computer security world.

And how do you know that this guy didnt put a malware on that distro to siphone up your bank passwords?

6. ianmcqui

Thanks for the reply, but have you tried it?

three months since installing no other antivirus/antimalware/antispyware installed and starts up/shuts down as fast as the day I installed it and I surf a lot.

They purport to have had 250K downloads of this Distro.

Do you fancy having a look on a spare machine?

Regards, Ian.

7. ianmcqui

No not joking it really is working very nicely, the best Distro I've tried although I haven't tried Linux royal yet.

Ta for the reply!

Regards, Ian.

8. mattdocs12345

Okay I checked out their website. The distro does look neat at least from the UI perspective. It has some nice Mac like icons and Mac theme it's file manager. Not my cup of tea but seems well designed from the UI perspective.
    DistroWatch has added this Distro to the waiting list so I guess it will be reviewed by them in the near future.
    Overall I think this guy made a nice distro, oriented towards Windows users who are just trying to explore Linux.
    I do feel like him saying that you are 100% virus immune is a little bit of B.S. but practically you are pretty safe with his set up. He creates a turtorial on installing Windows onto a VM and then restoring it on start up.
    I actually like what he did quite a bit. I might give his distro a try. A really nice guide to people who are migrating from Windows into Linux. Something that I wished I had few months back. Something that Linux community desperately needs - more noob friendliness and video turtorials.

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I agree. Once I got to the section about "The Robolinux Charity Foundation", I realized why they make such outlandish claims. I'll pass. :gack:

10. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

For $39.95? I don't mind anyone trying to make a buck with a decent distro.
    But so far the paid-for aspect hasn't been mentioned.
    The site mentions that the underlying linux OS can't be infected with Windows-based malware but it also mentions it makes Windows 7 and XP 100% immune to malware.
    The affirmative testimonial is from a 'Win3.1' veteran who has installed distros like Ubuntu, Tails and Cinnamon.
    Cinnamon is not a distro.
    Ah right, of course.
    How could I forget, there's also Facebook to thank for besides Torvalds. link

11. mattdocs12345

Not worth it. I thought it was free.

12. ianmcqui

Well I'm 'Guinea pigging' it so to speak, like I said earlier three months and no probs!
    Of course with a machine running OSX and two W7 machines in the house I don't have to try out on line shopping on this Distro yet until I've checked it out, currently doing so on just 4 forums at the moment.

It would be really really nice if it checked all the boxes regarding security, I'm so fed up of clearing crap off my family and friends PC's.

I wish the Linux community had more sponsors to help it create and develop, oh well maybe in the future!

Didn't find it on Distrowatch so that's also in part why I'm here, I've been through a lot of Distros trying to find something I like, I really do like this one.

Regards, Ian.

13. ianmcqui

It's free to download from sourceforge.net or it is here! The VM Box by Oracle is advertised as 28$ for installing XP or W7 in a VM but that's all?

Puzzled I've heard other people mention cost, I've downloaded the 32 bit and 64 bit ISO and installed on three machines with no problem!

Anyway thanks for the feedback, we'll see how it goes.

Regards, Ian.

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

So if you'd want to use the VM's to run Windows on those 3 machines, all you've got to pay is $84?
    No thanks, I'd buy the misses a nice champagne brunch for that sum or some extra RAM.

edit; $39.95 info from Jan2014 Download.com comments link.
    So, it's lowered now to $28 per VM?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry ianmcqui I believe you are a shill for this.

16. ianmcqui

From my perspective I have a machine running OSX, 2 running W7 and this one running Robolinux so I'm trying it out.

But say you wanted to keep XP as your OS and it runs with no AV, no problems in what they say 'A secure shell', no security updates or nothing and you can keep on using it in a VM It'd be nice, maybe even worth a bit of coin?

I'm trying to ascertain weather It's 'bogus' or not, by engaging linux users about their experiences I hope to glean some information about this Distro!

BTW I bet in your time you've had more RAM than a heard of Sheep.LOL

Kind regards, Ian.

17. mattdocs12345

So what do you get from paying this guy?

18. ianmcqui

Your'e way off base here, I'm honestly trying to find out if this Distro is what it says it is FFS!

Have you tried it, have you visited the web site or done any research at all?

Searching for answers, a complete Linux novice who is starting to enjoy the community!

Regards, Ian.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I'm going to puke

20. mattdocs12345

Why? What did you eat?

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Have you tried mint yet ian?

22. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

swindler with chips

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  23. ianmcqui

Have you read all the posts on this thread? I think not!

Absolutely nothing the OS is free only the VM by Oracle is charged for.

I'm running the OS right now, it works fine three months down the line and to be quite honest 28 bucks is FA, if I lost it buying the VM then I lost it.

I will spend more than that in the local Labour club tomorrow and send it down the drain!

Looking for answers not satire etc!

Regards, Ian.

24. ianmcqui

Tried mint but I like this better!

Have you heard of Linux Royal? A friend said it was a very nice Distro, but I'm getting a bit fed up of wiping my machine again and again and I'm on an SSD now!

I have a friend looking for an alternative to XP so I will have another machine to play with soon, he's got a spare he's letting me have so I can maybe explore the various Linux Distros a bit more.

Regards, Ian.

25. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Ian,

You don't need to wipe your machine, most Linux distros allow you to create LiveCD LiveUSB sticks to try out without installing.

I suggest you try out the popular Linux distributions (such as Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Mint, Centos or Debian), you will get far better support (without a doubt better for free than what you would get paid from Robolinx), better communities and trustworthiness.

I am still very skeptical about Robolinux for a number of reasons:
    - The website has little information about what Robolinux actually is, what the default desktop and selection of applications is, what version of Debian it is based on. Does not even mention if its a 64bit or 32bit build, supports more than 4gb ram, what the install size is etc
    - There is no information about if updates/patch systems in place.
    - Little information about what you get for your paid tech support (is it just a helpline or will they fix bugs, rollout updates)
    - The site looks like a typical sales/marketting site, thick in bold claims, thin on actual information needed to actually make an assesment if Robolinux would be useful.
    - There are numerous claims made, without any evidence, information or reference there is no way to know, nor assure potential customers.
    - Then there are questions like, do they have a licence from Microsoft to redistribute Windows (VM Pack) ?
    - There is no link to the sources he uses to build this distribution which is a violation of GPL (either direct access to the source OR description of how to obtain the source MUST be provided).
    - Because no source is provided we can't even check for backdoors/malwares that Robolinux claims to be immune from !
    - Breaking the terms and conditions of sourceforge by providing binary only downloads.
    - When you search for Robolinux the majority of links are from shills, making it hard to gain independent opinions about robolinux
    - The wording on your initial post is full of marketing terminology such as "licensed copy" when referring to Windows as on the Robolinux and asking for experience on Robolinux, incorrect use on quotes on generic terms as other blatant Robolinux shills have.
    -I have waited to give you chance to give us explanation about Robolinux, but you keep repeating the same things about malware and keep asking us to try it, without providing any information about what you are using it for, any quirks or interesting features etc.

It is no wonder people are suggesting you are a shill, but I don't actually care, because there is absolutely no information provided that gives me a reason to even try and install Robolinx, alone why I would choose it over other Linux distributions.

Cheers, Nick

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.