Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Now for the moment and in the immediate future these virtual layers and something which control outbound connections and you are done,as simple as that,no need anymore for more security.

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

How would you work with tis program if you were testing software that reuqired a reboot? If you install it in Shadow mode and Shadow mode reverts you back to having no changes after reboot, then how would this work? Thanks for clarity.

Gary

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR doesn't have a problem with a software that requires a reboot during installation, that's why I'm hesitating to use any other software.
    A frozen snapshot has in fact TWO freeze storages : an actual and a previous one and you can also disable the Pre-boot, but that is a dangerous workaround, certainly when you are installing a new software with unpredictable results.

This seems to be a problem with other immediate system recovery softwares, I can't give you a straight answer, I have to think about this.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

there are no signs on the horizon that that in the near future any app. comes along with option to keep data created in a virt. session related to installs,yes after reboot everything is gone. Better if you have FDISR is to create a test snapshot or a froozen one,or Roll Back come to mind,maybe VMware or Virtualbox is an option.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

On the manuals. Hardest thing in the world for good coders is writting documentation.

Both Powershadow and Returnil don't work under Raid 0. This thing does, and seems to work well

I've noticed you have your choice of staying in shadow mode or not when you reboot. Would love the option of not loosing changes when you do that reboot.

6. Peter2150

Okay, now the real test. I've emailed them on 4 separate things. Response will tell an awful lot.

7. ErikAlbert

Farmerlee and Franklin,

You probably remember the destructive command "DEL C:\*.* /F /S /Q".
    I stored this command in a notepad-file to remember it.

Today I ran the trial version of NOD32 as a test and suddenly NOD32 reports a threat and it was my notepad-file with this red remark of NOD32 : probably a variant of BAT/KillFiles trojan

I wrote a variant of the BAT/KillFiles trojan at Wilders, security forum #1.
    ROFLMAO.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

That's a laugh!:D
    o_O

9. Peter2150

That is pretty funny, I think.

10. Peter2150

Well I was getting pretty pleased with what I was seeing with this product. Then it I hit the Make or Break test, and it flunked.

I did a copy with FDISR and got an error consistently. It was Shadowdefenders driver. Couldn't find any way to unprotected so I uninstalled it. If my other emails are answered I will then ask about this.

If they can't solve it, another one bites the dust.

11. screamer

screamer Registered Member

That'sa pity, the app looked promising :(

...screamer

12. Peter2150

It does. First test is do they respond. 2nd test will be is there away to easily unprotect the driver. Time will tell.

13. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Ah. Maybe save me wasting any more time with it if that is the case. Have already got a couple of problems with it, so if it is not working properly with FDISR, that would be the last straw. Thanks Peter.

14. ErikAlbert

Any software that doesn't like FDISR will be ditched, that is my general policy. :)

15. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Actually Erik, this software does have some nice features, such as the "Exclusions" which I found very useful. However, I am getting a Runtime Error on reboot, which flashes too fast to read. Also I dont have any Taskbar Icon to open the program with, even though it is showing "ShadowMode" at the top of the screen. I have to "start" the program manually, which is very strange also.

BUT, as my whole way of working revolves around, and relies upon FDISR, there is nothing more important to me than keeping FDISR error-free.

Ken

16. ErikAlbert

Well, these people of ShadowDefender only have to download and install FDISR and do some serious tests and hopefully they will find a solution. I would try to break my OWN software in every possible way and challenge other people to try it too.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Eric:IMO , it is very bold assumption. FD-ISR is utilizing snapshot technology, any other apps adopting similar pattern are bound to have conflict issues with it. For instances, Progress Guard for one, FD-ISR will creates errors during FD-ISR's copying snapshot containing PG. DeepFreeze may not be happy to share a room with it, for two. And ShadowUser may have to exclude ISR's driver in order to share same platform with it, for three. Mind you, these three apps I mentioned are not all that bad programs. Each program does has its shortcomings, such as,FD-ISR can not survive killdisk trojan attack. That is THE reason I did not continue to use it. I do respect your policy, however, it has been saying: one's rags could be other's treasures. In this real world I do believe in it. Take care.

18. ErikAlbert

Yes, but I am a FDISR-user and I'm not planning to change that. Any software that is a problem for FDISR goes.
    The killdisk doesn't have a chance on my computer, because I have Anti-Executable to stop this killdisk virus.
    FDISR is not a security software, Anti-Executable is one. You are confusing security with recovery.
    PowerShadow is discussed in the anti-malware forum, wrong place because PS is NOT a security software, it's a recovery software.

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Have uninstalled Returnil to run SD for a bit on it's own merits.

Did notice with Returnil active that after a reboot into full shadow mode that only D and E were shadowed and not C where and when Returnil was active.

Or at least that's what SD's gui showed.

I would hazard a guess and say that SD is emulating a virtual hard drive such as when you shutdown a vm and discard all changes but with the advantage of being able to single out a folder/s to retain changes and or save data.

Seems OK here as I only use ghost images as my backup which I have to use through a ghost 2003 floppy for Vista and or sata drives as Ghost 2003 isn't workable from it's windows gui on those systems.

20. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Whats the problem with FDISR + SD? I took SD out of protect mode and rebooted then copied my current snapshot to a backup and all completed without error, unless I've misunderstood the issue?

21. Peter2150

I assume you mean shadow mode. When I first attempted a copy into and archive I got a copy error on the SD driver. Same result on repeated attempts.

BUT, I did find a fairly satisfactory work around.

What I did was boot to my secondary snap and do a copy/update from PRimary to archive. That went error free. Then once back in Primary, I retried the copy and since the driver was in the archive there was no problem. I tried several restore scenario's and it went fine.

At this point I'd say no conflict that isn't managable.

Also one of my sales questions emails has been answered so that is good.

22. Peter2150

Yet another update. Got an email tonight about one of my bug reports. There is a new version on the website.

So now I know that their support responds. Very good.

Pete

23. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That update is fast !

8/24 it was showing version 1.0.0.72
    8/27 now is the lastest version 1.0.0.78.

Wish they will show the changelog as well.

24. Peter2150

I think it was a bug fix in the driver. I reported one Friday night. Your right it was fast.

25. Peter2150

Hi Perman

I just caught this statement and am surprised. I assume then you've stopped using all your imaging programs for the same reason. They by themselves don't survive killdisk either.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.