Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let's not step off the deep end here.

Obviously, there are a number of possible scenarios at work here, including those in which the vendor has licensed all or portions of the software - think KAV for example. While similarity in the documentation has raised a bit of a flag in my mind, let's not forget that there can be perfectly legitimate reasons for this to be the case. Let's also not forget that first class software can come from anywhere. One or two top flight programmers can do amazing things, and all it takes is a fertile mind.

As with any new application, the exercise of due caution is warranted.

Blue

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Agree.

We should let StorageCraft deal with the similarities and not take matters in this forum and our own hands

May the holy grail of exiting shadowmode without reboot be achieved !

Amen !

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

IF ShadowDefender is able to protect you against destructive commands or malwares, I didn't see any proof of this yet.

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Well, in a limited way, Franklin has tested it and found Shadow Defender to be able to protect and stood the test. See earlier threads above.

Perhaps others can do a more exhaustive test and prove that Shadow Defender
    does not live up to its claims. At the moment, the common rule of law applies.....you are innocent until you are proven guilty.

Shadow Defender is innocent and maintains its claims. Any challenges ?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In my opinion, when it comes to all computer security software, you have got to be proven! Anyone can claim anything on their website just look at all of the other security programs, they all claim to be "the best" or "number one at" or whatever. I only completely trust a program after it has been tortured tested by the guys here which is why I recently purchased ShadowProtect, if Erik and Peter couldn't break it ... :thumb:

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The fact it is written in China doesn't bother me. I suspect the reason it bothers some folks, is there is an awful lot of piracy of software coming from that quarter. But ProSecurity is a good example of why that isn't a valid consideration. Good product.

Nanana1. Old saying. Me thinks thou protest to much. You state you have no interest, and normally I'd have no reason to question, but you are pushing so hard. Questioning why there is no motivation to test. Well for me all other issues aside, and the website aside, just nothing new that I can see.

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Don't disagree with it....ShadowProtect has been around for quite a while and is now in version 3.

Shadow Defender has just been launched with ver 1.00.72 and with its similiarities with ShadowUser which has been proven and unbroken, it is promising. Give it some time and more people will use, test and prove if it really lives up to its claims. But then again, Shadow Defender is now available to be tested if anyone here feels that it can be broken. Our highly professional member, Franklin, has done some test and Shadow Defender has delivered on its claims so far...ATM. Again, any challengers ?

8. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

I wouldn't ask that too loud. What's the reward? :D

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Again a discrminatory remark on China. Piracy is a global cyberworld problem.
    Let StorageCraft deal with the IP aspects.

I categorically state I am not related to Shadow Defender in any way.

Peter2150, mod or no mod, your movtivation or lack of is suspect. Anything to do with the sponsorship of this forum that Shadow Defender is not providing o_O

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Ssssssssh, how about a kiss from the Forum Mods here :p

11. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

I'm not gay.

12. Peter2150

The motivation I need or don't to test something is if I want to. There is a lot software here on the forum, I chose not to test. Honestly I really only test software of interest to me.

Okay now let me throw it back to you and maybe I'll get interested. Does it support Raid 0.

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well Pete a few of us regs would like see it tested further in regards to mbr corruption and killdisk and it seems you're "Da Man" when it comes to such testings.

But as you say, it's up to you.;)

14. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Technically, I don't know if Shadow Defender will support Raid 0 as I told you I am only an interested member and not related to them in any way.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That depends on his "motivation" or lack of.....sigh.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Try to stay calm nanana.;)

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter is only human, meaning, he only has a limited amount of time on his hands just like any of us. He does with his life what he wants too, he does not have to bow down to what someone else wants him to do. I love playing with computer security programs and browsers but given a choice between doing that or going hiking with my wife ... no contest, the computer and everything related to it waits.

Acadia

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am testing this software right now in Vista. Installation was a bit funny, I dont know if it has something to do with me being in a limited account but it tried to install 5 new devices but windows didnt find any drivers for them, but the software seems to work fine anyway. I have no malware to test it with but I did some deleting of files and they where back when I rebooted. Still have to figure out this "commit" feature. And I am still trying to figure out how this software differs from Powershadow.
    But otherwise this software seems to work without conflicts in my system. (well I only had it for a day or two :) )
    As I said I am in a limited account and dont feel I have much use for this kind of software now, but the day someone invents the holy grail (switch between shadow mode and regular mode without reboot) will get my money. I would be prepared to pay quite much for such software. It would be a huge milestone, like FDISR was.

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just tried shadow defender against eriks destructive commands, it handled it ok. The only odd thing i noticed was some of the text was missing from the shadow defender config screens after the command had completed. Upon reboot everything is back to normal, all changes have been undone. Not too bad for a 600k app.

20. ErikAlbert

Yes that sounds good. I assume it was done in a real environment this time ?

21. Peter2150

We shall see.

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thank you for doing this test ! It showed that Shadow Defender has stood up to its claims......I must say....ATM.

This validation is no gain to me personally as I continue to draw others' attention to this small 672KB gem software. I trust my own judgement and when I spotted a winner, I like to share it with others. My aggressive defence of this software may mislead others to think otherwise of me. I am not Shadow Defender's ColdMoon and will never be.

My only true and strong intention is that others in this forum will benefit from this forum and software. Hope you will consider Shadow Defender and benefit from its protection.:thumb:

Have a great weekend ahead !!!:D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  23. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yep done in the real environment. I've also tried modifying/deleting partitions which it blocked. Dismounted a partition and formatted it, upon reboot all data from that partition is still there. It seems to do everything it claims so far.

24. ErikAlbert

Well done, thanks alot. Nanana will be happy.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Impressive, indeed. :cool:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.