Newer version now 3633

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by backman, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

Hi there. Not sure why my message was deleted, but I'm a bit annoyed about it actually, I think the mods were a bit hasty, my message was not off-topic and it wasn't plugging any competing products
    so I'm taking a chance and posting it again.
    I hope build 3633 has a fix for that bug I've been having while running under dos. Last time I checked the trial version was still at build 3625, as a totally blind person I cannot use the gui with my dos text to speech synthesiser if you rename the trueimage.run file to something like truegui.exe, then boot to dos and run it, You'll get a graphical screen. The speech software is only able to read 80x25 ascii text displays.
    when it is used to restore my image, it works perfectly whereas the true-cmd-dos.exe doesn't, crashing to a grinding halt with read errors. All I want to be able to do is recover from a windows crash without having to seak sighted assistance, is that too much to ask?
    from 3567 to 3602 then to 3625 and hopefully 3633, the builds have been coming thick and fast, I just hope that somehow some day there will be a solution to my situation.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

A number of files are replaced, but not severe enough to require a reboot.
    Only justification for 3633 one day later would be that they screwed up badly in 3625.

3. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

they still have trial version of build 3625 up for download. Eagerly awaiting build 3633

4. dfw

dfw Registered Member

Backing up to DVD. good or bad ??, if you just depend on DVD back up then yes, as we have all had dvd's that become unreadable, however if you just depend on backing up to internal or external hard drives it's good to have a copy of your back ups on dvd, just incase the HD go south. DVD is good for backing up your backups??:D

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Ah but I backup to a slave HD and also to USB HDs so I reckon I'm covered without DVDs.

Xpilot

6. dfw

dfw Registered Member

:thumb: As long as your back ups are back up, just dvd is a good media if anyone does not have a 2nd or 3rd HD:thumb:

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Won't argue with that. :D DVDs do offer the advantage that they store easily and are fairly cheap. You can make backups at a suitable interval and just file them away with your data "frozen". This is probably more useful for data files than OS only backups. Such as for getting a copy of an old spreadsheet you modified and later think maybe you missed something.

However, as a main backup media they suck - too slow, too small and less reliable than a HD IMO.

8. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Where direct backup to DVD would be of use to me is for scheduled file (not image) backups of data files. I could put all the data for each of my clients on one DVD, so they could schedule a late night complete data backup as often as they like and just change the DVD in the morning.

Currently, we have to run a partial data backup each night so that a CD isn't filled because then it's waiting for a second CD to be inserted in the morning which slows down the day's work. As a result, the data isn't backed up every day, and some parts are only backed up once a week, but it takes 5 CDs per week. Doing it all on one DVD every day or twice a week would be a better backup and easier to restore from in the event of a problem.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As long as some critical backups are stored off site, you should be fine. However, a fire or theft can take all local backups, so off site storage is one important criteria for full protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.