Newcomer Challenges the Antivirus Establishment (PCWorld)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrhero, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I hope that it is not another ViruScape with bold statements!!! :rolleyes: :D

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

ViruScape actually had signatures, but heh, its methods of detection were so crude. I remember that ViruScape's results at virus.gr (it scored very high) really gave Antony Petrakis a bad rep and put a dent in virus.gr's reliability. Do you know WHY ViruScape scored so high in virus.gr? It scored high because the creator/CEO of TeraInnovations was a VXer and probably had all of VirusP's samples. But they didn't add signatures for all of those. ViruScape was innovative in the sense that it used md5 checksums and CRC32 checksums to "detect" VirusP's files (which was obvious cheating). So, in case any of you wondered why ViruScape was among the top in virus.gr, this is the simple reason, that they detected the CRC32/MD5 checksum and simply attached a virus name to it. No real signatures, no disinfection, no real detection at all. Just a token detection.

This one is based on behaviour blocking, so obviously it cannot pull a ViruScape type heist, but right now things are not looking so good for it. At best its like an HIPS, but its still too immature to be of any real use. Cheeky to come up and say that AV vendors have catching up to do.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I understand it very well now. Spyberus is very good on paper and PC World is a paper. :)

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks: Not much improvement since last year. Where is the promise that Brian has promised ? They are looking more victims for cruel rabbit-eye testing. Why would'nt they hull in hundreds hundreds PC workstations and test it themselves? It is insane to ask public to do this for them. To the developer, DIY. and get over w/ it.

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks Firecat for the tip!!! I understand it better now!!!
    :thumb: :thumb: :-*

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Looks like its free.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Quote the author from another site.
    Author Robotgenius

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=77280&st=15&p=422264&#entry422264

The author is talking about rollback as something new. I have rollback since March 2006 and a much better one than his software.
    My rollback doesn't give me a BSOD, like Peter had on his computer while he was testing RobotGenius.
    My rollback removes BSOD's like peanuts and alot of other problems, including my mistakes.
    This man has alot of blabla for writing posts, but no decent software.
    My advice for this man : don't talk, don't write and WORK HARD, your software NEEDS IT. Sigh. :(

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. Yeah he needs to look around. Something new....

11. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You are a good lecturer indeed. :thumb:

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Guy's Guy's and Gal's!

Does anybody remember the late Carl Sagan's warning?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary Proof!"

When AV-Comparatives reports on them then and only then will I look at it!

100% give me a break!

Good idea to run a leak test for them! Wonder why they didn't do that them selves first before inflicting it on unsuspecting ad believers.

Are we going to help them test and develop a product free?

Not me!

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I can make it quick, it won´t install on my VM, I get a blue screen upon startup of the OS. So basically it´s game over for Robot Genius on my machines. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.