Newbie's Trojan problem.... Please be Gentle with me!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by lard0, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lard0

lard0 Registered Member

Hello everybody. I am by no means an expert in this field, so I am looking for some answers from experienced people.
    Norton Anti Virus informed me that I have a Trojan on my system.
    The infected file is C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UPSJKR2P\Dummy.class

Apparently, it is Trojan.Byteverify.

The problem is that the file is no longer there! I have searched for it with Windows explorer, and cannot find any files with that name anywhere. I have also done a full system scan with Norton, and a Full scan with Trojanhunter, and have turned up nothing. The only thing the Trojan seems to be doing is resetting my Internet Home Page to Smartsearch, and, bizarrely, everytime I open a program or new IE window, Windows Installer starts up and tries to install Microsoft Money. o_O This does not go anywhere, due to the lack of a disk. I have got a couple of Trojans before,and have found and eradicated them with no problems, but this one is really annoying me. I am running Windows XP, if that helps at all.
    Thanks in advance.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi lard0 :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Sounds like u have a homepage hijacker on your system.

Please follow the instructions here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

then post your HijackThis log in the hijack cleaning forum with a full description of your problem and one of the experts will give u recommendations on any Malware found. Also, clean out your temporary internet files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.