Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wyatt, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wyatt

wyatt Registered Member

Hi, Even though I'm getting up in years, (closing in on 60), i've only had a computer for about 1 1/2 yrs.
    I keep clearing my temp internet files, but every time I
    open yahoo, I get all these yahoo image files, from stories that I've looked at on yahoo. I delete them, but
    as soon as I go to yahoo again, they are there again.
    I can't get rid of them!!
    Example:http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg...JPEG MGIPhoto
    http://usa1.yimg.com/us.yimg...GIF MGI Photo
    Will spyblaster get rid of these?
    I downloaded spybot the other day, cause my computer
    seemed to be running slowly. After removing the
    spyware (about 10 of the little varmints), it did run faster. I have xp-home, IE6, P4 Thanks

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi wyatt,

Can you explain this a little more? Where are the images appearing exactly? (You see, "Yahoo" covers a lot of ground. There's the search engine website, My Yahoo!, the email servers, the premium services for dialup and broadband users who have Yahoo providing content, etc.)

If we can figure out what you are seeing and running, and how the images look on your system, we should be able to advise you how to proceed. Thanks.

3. wyatt

wyatt Registered Member

OK, I go to: tools> internet options>temp internet files >settings>view files. There I see all the files (we are talking about), plus cookies. I then go back to "delete files" and delete them. Sometimes delete cookies too. But the next time I go on the internet (yahoo home page), all those yahoo files are back. I use yahoo to get on the internet. Plus I have yahoo email, which I have to open Yahoo home page to get to the email. Why doesn't delete mean delete? Thanks

P.S. Even when I went to disc cleanup in xp programs, and deleted temp internet files, they still reappear when I open the Yahoo main home page. This page does have a search engine and places to click on mail, messenger, travel, finance, hot jobs,-these are across the top of the page with Yahoo in Big Red Letters. It also has links to news, which I click on, and maybe some of these files are from them.

4. LowWaterMark

Okay, it sounds like you do exactly as I do, using the built-in option in IE's Internet Options to delete the cache. How exactly are you seeing that the files are all back? What option are you using to view the files there? (The "Settings..." sub option > "View Files..."?)

Have you tried checking immediately after doing the delete process, but before going back to online to Yahoo, to see if the files are actually being deleted in the first place? If the delete isn't working at all, then that would explain why the files are always there.

Of course, once you go back online and your browser accesses the Yahoo site, it'll reload all the images it needs to display the specific pages you visit... But, I'm assuming based upon what you have said that you aren't talking about the images just reloading properly, but you mean that all the images you've ever seen from there are immediately back again all at once... Is that the case?

I do remember cases where the cache IE was using was not the standard one and the option to delete the files was trying to clean the wrong place, thus always leaving the cache in place. So that might be a possibility. Definitely, let us know how exactly you are seeing these files to know that they are there.

5. wyatt

wyatt Registered Member

Hi again, Yes they ARE deleted for a short time until I go off the internet. But they're back again as soon as I go back on the internet, only More each time. I feel hopeless to get rid of this growing mass, especially since I saw that you said "Of course once you go back online it will display all the images". But these are images I looked at maybe once as news items, and don't need anymore. I guess it's dumb to not know this is "supposed" to happen. I just wanted to clean up this growing mass of clutter! I was thinking of clearing my internet history folder (located in the same area as "delete files"?), and changing the amount of days to maybe 1 day or something. Will this help? If I do that, will it also delete the library of web sites that I've typed in? You know how when you start typing a web site in, and a list of similar sites pops down and you can just pick out of those before you have to finish spelling out the site? Or when you click on the arrow next to where you type the web address, and all those sites pop down and it's easy to see the one you want? I like that, and don't want to change that part. Well, will that be Changed to only the sites I've typed in for 1 day, if I change my internet history folder to 1 day? I hope not. Thanks for any help you can give me.--Wyatt

6. LowWaterMark

Hi wyatt,

Is it possible for you to attach a screen image showing us exactly how you are seeing these? Using whatever tool is showing you that they are all returning and building up - take an image of it and add it to a new reply here. This might help to show exactly what you are seeing.

You can add one image per post here on the forum. This FAQ will explain how if you've never done it: FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting . If it takes a few images to show the whole thing, then make multiple replies here, each with one image.

As to the other questions, don't change History settings or anything else just yet until we understand what's happening.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

LWM,

These images wouldn't be related to the ads on yahoo would they?
    I have yahoo as my home page and I see those ads all the time.
    I don't know about the IE6 part,I never use IE.

Just a thought.....

8. LowWaterMark

Well, the only thing that makes it sound like it's not just the normal Ad images reloading for new pages visited is Wyatt's statement that they are the same files, and the number is constantly getting greater. That's really why I'd like to see the screen he's using that tells him that, so we know exactly what he's referring to.

If it is truly a cache that is not being cleared, that reminds me of an old problem I've seen many times before, (but I don't think ever on XP with IE6), where the option built-in to IE just doesn't delete the cache files at all. And yet, he says they are deleted until he reconnects and they all come back at once. :doubt:

Nothing like a picture to make everything clear. :)

9. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

Possibly the "Offline sync..." thing?

- See IE > Internet Properties > Advanced > Uncheck 'Enable offline items to be synchronized...'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.