Newbie to Solid State Drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fox Mulder, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Hi everyone. I'm getting to the point where the hard drive is the weakest link on my computer in terms of performance.

I was considering getting this: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT128M4SSD2

And installing Windows 7 on it. I'd probably keep some apps on the drive, but games would be on a standard HDD.

Thoughts? I remember hearing that SSDs burn out fast but that was years ago and I don't know if it still applies.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, they don't burn out fast. They have a limited number of times they can be written to, but they will be obsolete by old age and replaced by the user for newer technology well before that if they are used normally. Just don't defragment them, and you can basically use them as you would any normal HDD. I don't even bother with moving temp files and such away from them, my oldest one, which is a system disk in a computer that is on 24/7, is closing in on 2 years of 24/7 use now, and it is still at 97% health. So it will probably only last me until 2040 or something.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I had one SSD for 3-4 years and it had 98% health when I sold it and replaced it with my current SSD.

4. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

That's really encouraging to hear. I first heard about SSDs back in 2006-ish and heard horror stories about lifespan.

Is the drive I linked to any good in your opinions? It has high ratings on Amazon.

5. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

SSDs have progressed since then. I personally don't have any experience with that Crucial M4 but I have nothing but good things about it in reviews and on forums.

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I have a Crucial M4. There was a problem with them after so many hours, 5000, I think (I've had no problems *touch wood*). Apparently a firmware update fixed that, anyway. They've also brought out a newer firmware update about a month ago that claims to give improved performance under heavy loads.

The thing you have to keep an eye on with SSD drives are the firmware updates.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Damn, with so many good things you guys are saying about SSD's now it makes me want to purchase one.
    I'm going to wait until their prices are lower first. :D :D

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

thanks OCky very interested read

i am newbie to SSD too so very helpful indeed :D

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.