newbie question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by daddymo3, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

Why do I need a firewall? I have Win.XP,so I use that.What's the differance?
    I read in a PC mag that XP firewall,Spybot and Ad-Aware are all that you need. A tech at a local comp.store says the same thing.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. dog

dog Guest

The biggest issue with the XP Firewall, is that it only handles inbound connections. A proper software firewall handles both inbound & outbound traffic.

There are many free software firewalls available (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Sygate ... etc.) AJohn has compiled a list here --> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57655

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

CRAP. The XP firewall only protects against incoming traffic but it does not protect against outgoing traffic, other firewalls are better. You can try Sygate Personal Firewall from www.sygate.com
    IF YOU DON'T USE A FIREWALL YOUR COMPUTER CAN BE VERY EASILY COMPROMISED BY HACKERS!
    Spybot and ad-aware are not enough. You also need Spywareblaster and Spywareguard from www.javacoolsoftware.com
    Also, remember to update your computer with Windows Update. v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Get a powerful anti-trojan software like TDS-3 from www.diamondcs.com.au
    Get a good and free anti-virus like avast home edition from www.avast.com
    Make your computer even stronger with ProcessGuard also from www.diamondcs.com.au
    Use firefox for your internet browser, its much more secure compared to Internet Explorer. You can get firefox from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2248.html

IMPORTANT: If you are running Windows XP please download Windows XP SP2 from Windows Update.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi daddymo3

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Current operating systems with some default services having listening network connections require a firewall to protect them from outside networks (Internet). This can be easily done with XP's Windows Firewall or a hardware device (router).

Some software firewalls also offer control over what applications are allowed network access, thus providing additional control over network trraffic. Some users want this additional layer of protection.

Security is about managing risks. Everybody's risks and needs will be different as will be the solutions. Inbound only protection may be appropriate and work for some and not for others.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SP2's firewall is not good enough.

As for third-party alternatives, ZoneAlarm has the advantage of being pretty much the simplest to set up - but it does transmit data periodically to Checkpoint (see other ZA threads in this forum for more) and can be a pig to remove when you want to test a meatier offering. Meatier offerings include Kerio, Look'n'Stop and Outpost. They all have strengths and weaknesses which makes some more suitable than others so if you want a more specific recommendation, you need to specify what your priorities are (e.g. security, ease-of-use, resource utilisation, flexibility, add-on features).

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Have NEVER had any problem removing Zone Alarm Pro...4.0 to 5.5. I don't even have to shut down ZA prior to hitting the remove icon. Perhaps someone could elaborate on the EXACT issues with ZA, like what was not removed from windows, etc....

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

It seems rebooting is oh so important,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44147

snowbound

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Uninstalling Zone Alarm

Main issue is being unable to install other firewalls or experiencing BSODs after their installation due to left-behind ZA files.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have not had any recent problems removing ZA, but in the past I know there were problems. I do recall uninstalling once and it leaving a mess. Files left in Windows system folders and elsewhere, the service not being removed, etc etc. Had to follow their instructions for manual removal to clean up. I think they've fixed the problems now, but once upon a time it was common knowledge that ZA didn't uninstall well all the time..

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I've tested 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5 with W98SE, W2K Pro, WXP Pro. All junks were removed with the exception of the Internet Logs folder. With the older versions, I see a few log entries in this folder. Starting with 5.x, all I see is an empty Internet Logs folder.

Have installed Outpost Pro 2.1/2.5, Kerios, and Lock n Stop AFTER ZA Pro without any problem. I suspect the problem may be related to other software running in the background that may conflict with ZA Pro.

Will run more tests when ZA releases another update. Thanks for the feedbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.