newbie question

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by northstar51, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northstar51

northstar51 Registered Member

Hello: Hope this question isn't redundant, but--with PG still in learning mode--I'm wondering how to disable PG temporarily to allow for adding software packages or downloading info from websites? I read in the new 3.0 quick tips that one should disable PG THEN re-enable PG. Then my question is how to re-enable PG. Since I haven't done this in 3.0, I don't know how difficult that might be.
    Also, my question is this: could--for future builds--PG be able to have a feature where a message appears that asks the user to allow or not allow a certain feature to run? A number of security programs such as firewalls (ZA) and Win SP2 have this option. Would this feature compromise security? Allowing for malicious code, ActiveX controls, etc.?
    Thank you in advance for your assisstance and patience, I certainly appreciate it. Btw, for my .02, I like the new and improved 3.0. I believe it to be more user-friendly and easier to understand...northstar51

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Northstar51

Disabling PG's protection is done by unchecking the protection enabled box on the main window.

However I would caution you, run thru all your programs and get ProcessGuard set up. Until you have done that I would be cautious about installing new packages, and certainly about downloading from the net.

Pete

3. northstar51

northstar51 Registered Member

Peter:
    Thanks for your input. I stand corrected. The info I wanted to download was NOT blocked by PG 3.0. I thought because I had just installed PG onto my system and it was in learning mode, that that was the reason I couldn't download what I wanted. I was wrong. I was able to update both my anti-virus AND my firewall with PG on and a PG window would appear asking me to allow or deny the application request. Apologies all 'round, my mistake.
    I thought it might have been the PG in learning mode because the day before I had tried to download some info from a manufacturer's website re a digital camera I had just purchased. Now I see that the info didn't download for reasons other than PG as I had assumed.
    As always, thanks very much for the help...ns51

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.