Newbie question

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tlu, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

Hello to all of you in this forum!

I'm a new PG user. So far I'm very satisfied with the program, and I'm looking forward to the features of version 3.

There is one question that isn't answered in the PG manual: Are any problems to expect if I install new drivers (e.g. a video driver) or if I update WinXP from the windowsupdate site? Specifically, is it advisable to disable the General Protection Options (especially "Block Drivers and Services from Installing")? Are otherwise BSODs or other problems possible?

Regarding windowsupdate: Today I updated WinXP from this site. After rebooting the computer I got a message that PG was disabled, and I had to enable it manually. Is this the normal behaviour of PG to prevent above mentioned possible problems?

Thanks in advance!

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi tlu & welcome, Its is advisable to disable protection when adding new windows patches as they are sometimes low level services the same applies to hardware such as your video drivers etc.
    In version 3 this advice is already in the Process Guard's tips :)

Hope this helps. Pilli

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, it does. Thanks a lot, Pilli. :)

The answer to my second question (regarding windowsupdate), however, is still open.

Today I went to that site without installing anything. Afterwards I downloaded a patch for Office XP and installed it - a reboot was not necessary. Now the strange thing: I opened the PG GUI which told me that the protection was enabled - but the list if the protected applications was empty! Only after a reboot everything was okay.

What's the explanation for this behaviour of PG?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Usually MS patches do not actually "Take" until the system restarts unless they are critical updates which almost always ask you to restart.
    I guess that the same applies to their office updates, thus rebooting actually instigates the full patch install.
    I have noticed this with other applications as well. :) I suppose it depends at what level within the system the updates patches etc. are affecting.

HTH Pilli

5. tlu

tlu Guest

So my first lesson is: Whatever the applied patch might be, rebooting the computer is always advisable.

I hope my learning curve remains that steep - I might become a serious competiton to you in this forum, Pilli :D:D

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I'm not a computer professional, just an enthusiastic user :) So you should have no problem achieving that :D

The learning curve will be considerably lower with Version 3 which we are beta testing ATM and it is a free upgrade to all licenced users. Should be released very soon. ;)

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

:D yoeeehoeeeeeeeee :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.