newbie question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tbecker1, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbecker1

tbecker1 Registered Member

Can a data only hard drive be imaged and restored?

I have 2 hard drives, one for storage of photos etc. It has 3 partitions. Can I create an image of this drive and succesfuly restore it even though it does not have an OS on it? Tom

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Re: Can a data only hard drive be imaged and restored?

Yes. Just accept the default settings as you prepare to create the image and you will not experience any problems.
    Since your second drive only contains data, you could copy all that data to DVDs and then try a restore of the image to that disk. TI wipes the disk before restoring the image so, if your restore is successful, you will know that your images are not corrupt. (Veryifying your image does not always turn out to be correct).

3. tbecker1

tbecker1 Registered Member

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. If I have to replace my 2nd hard drive (data only, mostly .jpgs) with a new one, how do I restore the data to it? Can I do that from the other hard drive with the OS on it?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Just start up TI in Windows and restore your image containing the data partitions. Since it is not a active system partition like C, it will do the whole task from within Windows.

A comment, IMO, it is a good idea to back up your data files such as your jpgs using a second method. Writing to DVD with a program such as Nero, Roxio or whatever is fine but be sure you do the "verify after burning", or copy them to an external USB drive. This way you are not relying on any technology such as TI to get your files back. Just an opinion. Remember, personally created data files exist nowhere else for no amount of money so it is best to have a second independent backup.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tbecker1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that if you are not concerned about restoration of your operating system along with all settings and applications, but plan to keep safe only certain data, you could create a file-based backup (check Chapter 5.1 "Backing up files and folders (file backup)" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide). This will reduce the archive size, thus saving disk space and possibly reducing removable media costs.

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis Public Knowledge Base and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.