newbie question: mbr

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alexofindy, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexofindy

alexofindy Registered Member

Just a quick question from a newbie. I'm about to install TI Home 11 (purchased version) for the first time. I'd just assume not monkey with my MBR.

If I don't install Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, will the installation overwrite my MBR? I do plan to install the Rescue Media Builder (and also Disk Director Suite 10).

Thanks!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Don't have TI11 but if you don't setup the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager in the previous versions it doesn't modify the MBR. I would imagine TI11 is the same.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,
    Acronis True Image 11 Home also won't rewrite the MBR boot code until the Startup Recovery Manager is activated.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

4. FroHo

FroHo Registered Member

When Acronis TI did rewrite the MBR (after activating the Startup Recovery Manager), what will happen after removing the recovery manager or the whole program? I mean: will the OS still be able to boot? Is there somekind of rollback system to the previous startup situation?

Tnx already!

5. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

In my case, (TI10) I noticed an occasional failure to boot into Windows after activating the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

There is no apparent menu-offering for de-activating the ASRM.

I had an earlier backup image of my OS partition, so I restored that unmodified MBR from that earlier image. That worked for me.

Hope this helps!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Yes, OS will be bootable. Acronis software would restore MBR and remove the presence of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager from it.

You can also fix MBR using Windows Installation CD or special tools.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Was there no listing regarding the Startup Recovery Manager under the tools menu or pick a task. There is usually some type of un-install or deactivation option provided.

8. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Nope. As far as the menu options are concerned, activating ASRM is a one-way trip.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I bleive de-activate only shows if the version of ATI on your machines recognizes that a Recovery Manger has been activated. IF it doesn't, then you might need to use the wondws disk to cahnge the mbr back to original version.

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The easiest way to get rid of the Start up Recovery Manager and get the MBR back to its previous state is to remove the Secure Zone . It is essential to use the manage secure zone wizard for this task.
    As well as removing the zone you will be able to allocate the free space to a new secure zone or use it elsewhere by re-sizing your partition/s.

The downside of this procedure is the loss of any old images in the old secure zone.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.