newbie- not sure I understand?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by oreo390, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreo390

oreo390 Registered Member

This is from the help files in acronis 8.0-- ( have winXP NTFS)
    Acronis says nothing about NTFS?? so what do you select for a restore option?---------------
    But you must also keep in mind that not all operating systems support FAT32. MS-DOS, Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.x, 4.x do not support FAT32 and will not be operable after you restore a partition and change its file system. These can be normally restored on a FAT16 partition only.
    However, you can easily convert a FAT16 partition with newer OS into FAT32.
    ---------------------------------
    Does this have to be done when using the recovery to install the image to the hardrive?----------------
    Under Windows NT/2000/XP, Acronis True Image enables you to assign any unused letter to a restored partition (logical disk). To do this, select Yes, I want to assign a logical drive letter to restored partition. If you don’t set this switch, no letters will be assigned to the restored partition, hiding it from OS. Under Windows 9x/Me, this step is bypassed since letters are assigned automatically.
    --------------------

Do you do an image of the drive then format the drive, then restore the image? Does it matter that you have different partitions than the image had? How can you make sure that you don't damage the restore partition?(the hidden restore partition in a Dell dimension8400) Will the restore still work like new with the keys that was intended. (can just this patition be imaged and restored to work with the keys dell intended) When formatting can you just leave that partition in tact and not format it at all.
    Not sure how to restore the image of the restore after the computer is wiped clean. Do you install the OS first, install programs then do the restore?
    After the operating system is installed can you then access the restore and put the c drive back to the original using the restore even though the partioning is different. I have one large partiotion right now and the small hidden partition for the dell restore and would like to have about 3 partions.

Not sure if I made myself clear enough on what info I need.
    Thanks bunches

2. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

To work with a Dell so you can continue to use Dell's restore and diagnostics features you have to observe a few rigid rules:

1) Never do anything to alter the master boot record of your original Dell hard drive. That means don't enable Acronis Secure Zone or any of its features.

2) Never use a 3rd party partition or disk utility to change your original Dell hard drive or the MBR gets changed.

3) To retain the full function of Dell's diagnostic and pc restore functions AFTER you restore an image created with TI8 be sure these features work BEFORE you create an image with TI8.

4) To create an image with TI8 that can be successfully restored so the Dell functions still work you MUST click the hard drive checkbox at the top of the source drive graphic that captures the ENTIRE hard drive and ALL partitions on it. Same thing for a restore. Unless you do so in both operations the Dell features will not work.

5) Follow the above rules. If you don't, your Dell diagnostics may never work again and your Dell pc restore CERTAINLY will never work again.

Now, remember that if you get this far successfully and have at least one safely-stashed, verified restorable image which has fully functional Dell diagnostics and restore features then you can hack and chop at your internal hard drive and never worry about the results because you can always boot up on your TI8 rescue cd and restore that safely-stashed image and everything will be back to normal again.

Make sure you COMPLETE and VERIFY each of the above steps so you don't end up up the creek later.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello newbie,

True Image does what it says - it creates a "true" image of your partition(s) or total hard disk. If you image a FAT16 or FAT32 source partition/drive then your restored partition/drive will be end up as FAT16 or FAT 32 unless you elect to change it during a restore. It doesn't matter whether the FAT16/32 image is stored on a NTFS partition. When restoring a NTFS partition/disk you don't get the option to change the type of file system - what you image is what you restore.

In order to restore your complete system, including the Dell hidden partitions, you must ensure that you create and restore an image of the whole disk. This is achieved by ticking the checkbox next to the Disk in question when using either the Create or Restore Image wizards. There is no need to partition or format the disk that you are restoring to, even if it's a brand new disk straight out of the box. TI will just delete the existing partitions and recreate the same disk structure (including Master Boot Record) as the source drive the image was created from.

Hope the above has helped.

Regards

4. oreo390

TI will just delete the existing partitions and recreate the same disk structure (including Master Boot Record) as the source drive the image was created from--
    Does this mean if I format and partition into 3 or more partitions TI will take it back to the 1 large partition it originally had when creating the backup image?

Do you need to have the program on your computer that formatted the dvd to be able to restore the computer?? I used sonic (came with computer)to format them because I haven't installed nero yet, so if I lose the sonic can I still access the restore?

Is there any way to get email notifications of replies to this board?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yes, go to UserCP at the top left of the page then choose Edit Options.

6. Donprovo

You have to grasp the concept of what creating an image is. Whatever condition or status your hard drive is in when you choose to create the image is what you'll get when you restore the image. All files, programs, operating system, settings, partitions, etc. will be exactly the same after the image is restored.

When you restore an image you can choose to do it from within Windows if you installed Acronis TI8 to your hard drive. If not, you can boot up with the TI8 rescue cd and restore the image from wherever you stored it as long as it's accessible. In the case where you use the rescue cd, you will get a prompt to eject it and insert the first disc (cd/dvd) which has the image stored on it. You don't need the burner software at this point.

7. oreo390

so as I understand there is no way to parttion my HD and get the dell programs back and still keep the partitions I want to have?
    Thanks so much for the info

8. Donprovo

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but with a Dell drive you MUST observe the above rules IF you want full functionality of your hidden diagnostic and pc restore partitions.

Anytime you partition or alter your hard drive so the MBR changes, you will cause the hidden pc restore partition to be useless. The Dell pc restore function (Ctl+F11 on boot) depends upon the MBR remaining unchanged as well as the hidden partition remaining undisturbed as well as the Dell Symantec Restore software on the C partition remaining unchanged.

Similar restrictions apply to the diagnostic partition.

As I said above, once you safely stash a verified and functional image of your entire Dell hard drive while it still works you can hack your drive without fear. Later, you can restore the image you made of the entire original drive and you should have full functionality of the Dell partitions.

Alternatively, you can repartition 'til your heart's content as long as you have the original image to restore BUT you can't have your cake and eat it when you own a Dell and want to retain the functionality of the hidden partitions.

Don't hate me - I didn't make these stupid rules! :oops:

9. oreo390

I don't hate you, I do wish dell would have left well enough alone and just gave us all of the cd's instead of the stupid partition. Thanks so much for clarifying this for me. I understand (I think).

10. Donprovo

I agree wholeheartedly.

All they'd have to do is include one DVD and we'd have everything we needed without all the stupid proprietary restrictions.

Good luck.

11. oreo390

another question please- I tried installing nero INCD but it says I have to uninstall the sonic first.. Would nero or my computer have a problem reading the sonic formatted disks if I would somehow lose the program? Sonic says something about making the disk readable to any player but it closes the disk for futher writing.. would this process harm my acronis image stored on them? And does nero 5.5 support dvd burning? I didn't really want to shell out for the nero6.
    Thanks a lot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.