Newbie looking for advice on which version to buy for XP and avoid headaches...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by atwnsw, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atwnsw

atwnsw Registered Member

Okay, I was on amazon.com and was about to buy ghost but read horrible reviews. One review referred to this program and was very complimentary. So, I read more reviews on amazon.com and found mostly positive feedback.

However, like all software, there were people who tested their restored version and lost everything. Some said the image was corrupted and they received the blue screen of death. In addition, there were people who said that version 8.0 was stable but 9.0 was not.

I am from the old school and know that I shouldn't mess with my computer when it is working perfectly. At the same time, I would like to make a complete backup. Assuming, I installed the software, how does one test to make sure it is working perfectly without attempting a complete restore and risk loss of all data as well as wiping out the existing hardrive if there is an error?

I have no problem spending the $$$ but don't want any headaches or risk running a defective program.

What do you suggest?

Running XP and have external USB backup hard drive.....

Thanks for making me comfortable before purchasing this product....

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

after u make an image of ur hard disk or partition, u can tell ATI to verify the image. its not error proof, but its a step.

also u should try the trial version to see how it reacts to ur computer.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI 9.0.3567 is a terrific program, warts and all. Back a few versions ago, I had Norton Ghost and switched to ATI because the program, at the time anyway, had more features I wanted, suppported mor hardware, and support through these forums was better than the hired scrdipt readers you get when you call or write to Norton support.

All major software programs have problems. There's simply too many harware combinations and too many other programs on any given system these days for that not to be the case. With ATI you can try before you buy and it's not expensive. And it works well on a great many systems. And if you have probelm or don't understand something about the program, these forums are a great resource. Try it and if it works for you, go for it.

Few software purchases these days are a promising.

sh

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

To the original poster: as long as you don't use optical media for the backups and you don't use the Secure Zone you should be okay.

Also if you use wireless keyboard/mouse you may run into problems. But then again you may not. You didn't say what kind of system you have.

I also would not recommend you use it for Files/Folders backup. It is much simpler to use Windows Explorer for this purpose. And if you want to compress these items, use the built-in WinZip.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello atwnsw,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that most of these issues was related to a particular software or hardware compatibility. The latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home has better hardware support and contains fix for some known problems.

I may recommend you to download Acronis True Image 9.0 Home trial version in order to check how the product works. The limitations of Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version is that you can only restore an image when you run the program from the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The trial version evaluation period is 15 days.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.