Newbie help with Internet Connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by monotone, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monotone

monotone Registered Member

Hello,

I've been using Eset for my business and home for almost a year now. My computer had issues earlier this week and all of a sudden I couldn't connect to the internet. When i got the computer repaired they told me they had to get rid of Eset Security and add back the trial of NOD 32 Antivirus only, and I should enter my username and password when I got home.

I had to reformat my hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows. I added back on the ESET Security and things worked for a bit... now it's stopped letting me load to the internet again. I uninstalled Eset altogether and I can visit sites again. I added back the NOD32 Antivirus only.. but it didn't fix the problem this time...

I am currently running without virus protection and have 2 years left of paying for ESETo_O HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Am I doing something wrong? Does it matter that I have installed other Spyware applications (i.e. Adaware and Spybot)o_O

N8

2. jhjm32087

jhjm32087 Registered Member

Are you using interactive filtering mode?

3. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

How are you connected to the Internet?

With a Ethernet NIC to a Cable/Wireless Modem?

With a Ethernet NIC to a Router and then to a Cable/Wireless Modem?

With a Cable NIC to a Cable/Wireless Modem?

USB?

Putting the Firewall on Automatic mode would be a better thing to start with.

Have you tried the available patch? http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2207&actp=LIST_RECENT

Have you tried installing the lastest release of ESS 4.0.417.0? http://www.eset.com/download/

Have you tried using the command prompt and typing:ipconfig /release - unplug your modem and/ or router, wait a minute or two, then go back to the command prompt and type: ipconfig /renew ?

If you need more assistance with the above paragraph send me a PM with your phone # and good time to call and I'll walk you through it and help you any way I can.

Best of luck.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, try installing ESS 4.0.417. If it doesn't make a difference and you're able to connect to the Internet after disabling the firewall, enable logging blocked connections in the IDS setup, try to connect to the Internet and then check the firewall log for details about blocked connections. This might help you figure out which rule is blocking connections.

5. monotone

Thanks everyone for their quick replies...

I re-installed and made certain it was verision ESS 4.0.417.0.
    I put in my username and password and the same thing hapenned right away. Example... when you click on Google.ca the page title would change to Google, and you could see the top banner, but no page would load. If you typed in www.mlb.com for baseball the banner at the top of the page would load but no page would load.

So I turned off the firewall and it worked perfectly. I have since changed the firewall to be Learning Mode and when I clicked on internet explorer it gave me a pop up message allowing ie to work. so it seems that problem is fixed.

HOWEVER>>>>>>

Now no emails will work? I'm using Microsoft Office Outlook. It just times out basically. I attempted to send an email to another accound and a popup message from Eset allowed this to be done.

So I thought If I send one to myself that it may teach the software to receive the emails... but to no avail... sending emails is fine... but I can't receive!

Going back to the pros... any help guys?

N8

6. monotone

oops... just noticed also that I'm not able to update ESET Either... looks like that's blocked too!

FYI... I just checked and I can FTP no problem!

N8

7. monotone

I just took off protocol filtering and that solved the email problem... but is it still secure? It kind of sucks to be paying for something that doesn't work!

STill can't update ESET Though?

8. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

I've set this up myself just now. What should I look for in the log? I see messages from 4/3 that look strange.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Sometimes updating the firewall module can break past logs if they are incompatible, for example it might display an error code instead of the intrusion message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.