Newbie, can you help me uninstall?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by andreah1, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andreah1

andreah1 Registered Member

Will do when I get home. Good Lord, I hope with this huge thread someone can get some help out of it!!!!! It was a long road but SO glad I could get it worked out. Was so afraid that I was going to have to reformat and all it was was that nasty goback. I have norton anti virus too and switching to a free one (avg or avast) as soon as it runs out, I've had it with norton!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Why wait until the Norton subscription runs out. Nuke it now and go with AVG.
    I put Norton, GoBack and the Secure Zone in the same category - they're booby traps just waiting for the right "alignment of the stars" to catch you. You have to be part Geek to use them and avoid the booby trap. And the thing is there are alternatives to them, some of which happen to be free. So why take the risk!

3. andreah1

Stop making me laugh...it WAS a geek that suggested I put norton on my machine! I do like some of the utilities they have on systemworks and will keep a few of them but any problems I've ever had always seem to lead back to symantec. Strange, huh? :rolleyes: I'll be happy to be rid of them. I only have a month left of virus so will switch after that...when I get a minute I'm reading up on avg and MAY make the switch sooner. Goodbye norton!!!! FREE is always good!!!!!! Then I can afford things like ext. hard drives and hopefully a dvd burner soon!!!!! Thanks DwnNdrty! Andrea

4. DwnNdrty

What utilities do you like in Norton and I'll see if there are alternatives. You already know about the antivirus.

5. andreah1

I like Norton Disk Dr because it sits on my desktop and I can see how much free space I have quickly an it's little so it sits in the corner. Also like their windoctor program. And the one button checkup....any free ones would be great!!!! THANKS!

6. DwnNdrty

I don't know what WinDoctor and OneButtonCheckup do, but here's how to look at the free space:
    Double click on the MyComputer icon and in the View menu choose Details if you don't get the details showing. It should look like this:
    FreeSpace.JPG

7. andreah1

Thanks, I can do that, like the disk dr because it's right there, I don't have to click a thing, but if I wipe out Norton altogether off my machine I'll use your way def.!

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Andrea,
    Way back I used to have Norton system Works on my computer with anti-virus and all the whistles and bells.
    When I realised what a waste of space and resources it really was and I got rid of it my computer seemed like it had been fitted with a turbo-charger.

In these columns the have been many complaints about how difficult it is to remove all traces of TI. Well the same applies to Norton products. Indeed they have at last provided a customised removal tool as the normal Add/Remove only scratches the surface.
    Once you have run the tool things are greatly improved but a search for Symantec and Norton entries will show up a lot more that can safely be removed.

I don't know if it is appropriate to suggest housekeeping products here but I will tell you what I use anyway.
    CCCleaner supplemented by EasyCleaner, AVG anti virus , Windows Defender, Adaware, Spybot and after testing several greatly hyped defraggers I use the bog standard Windows tool from time to time. I have some others in my tool box which I may run if there is something that is causing problems but the aforementioned usually do the job and something sticky can usually be removed by running the tools while in safe mode. They are all by the way free versions :)

Xpilot

9. andreah1

I am going to run the removal tool, I've heard MANY times that Norton is a big slow bull....and my computer DOES run slow, sometimes I want to slam the monitor on the floor I get so mad, and with dial up it's only worse. I think I got the new systemworks last year free on black friday so it won't be a big loss to get rid of it and I'm excited to see if it does speed up my machine. It looks like TI has alot of the same things anyways. I already have defender, adaware and spybot and plan on avg shortly...will add ccc cleaner and should be all set and most likely happier. I'm all done fiddling around with norton. I use the defrag that came with xp and it works fine...I had tried a few other beefed up ones but never liked them. Sometimes simple is best I guess! I also have Registry Mechanic and really like it, cleans up alot of stuff that I didn't even know was wrong.
    BTW, my new ext. hard drive has been shipped already!!! Woo hoo!

10. DwnNdrty

That should be CCleaner at www.ccleaner.com and it is free - one of the best. I use it too - one of the first things I run when I want to make my system lean, clean, and mean. :D

The other one XPilot mentioned should be Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.com - also free. The second thing I run to make my system lean, clean, and mean. :D

Same for Spybot.

BTW, I would put Windows Live One care in the same category as Norton, GoBack and the Secure Zone.

Here's another thing I do -or rather, don't do - where XP is concerned. I have automatic updates turned OFF. The only updates I have are whatever came with the SP2 cd that was given out free by MS about 4 (?) years ago. And my laptop still boots in a crisp 1 min 30 seconds. The desktop is a little slower (slower cpu) at 2 min. Of course you must make sure your antivirus is up-to-date and you have a Firewall (ZoneAlarm) running at all times. And yes, ZoneAlarm is free.

11. andreah1

I got rid of zone alarm, hated it, for some reason kept screwing up my system and all worked well when it was off. I use the windows firewall, only because I have dial up and am not hooked up all the time, just a few hours a day.
    I have my updates set up to ask me first before doing anything so I can pick and choose, some of them can be big pains in the butt when I'm trying to do something so I go into the website alot and download them when I have time rather than automatically.
    Gee, I'm really starting to feel smart, ha ha!!!

12. DwnNdrty

There must have been other underlying reasons that ZA acted that way. On my systems it just sits there like an obedient watch dog and only "barks" when necessary.

Oh, when you run CCleaner, let us know how many Mb of stuff it removes. There is also a rudimentary Registry cleaner in that program which is better than nothing, but you might want to get the FREE Clean My Registry. Consult your Google Gods for a download location.

13. andreah1

Will let you know. Sticking with Registry Mechanic, love it and at least til the subscription runs out will leave things as is. I hate change but I'm learning! CCleaner isn't going to take away off my address bar history, etc is it? Another one of those things I love having on there, like it better than fooling around with favorites (dumb I know but I'm stubborn).

14. DwnNdrty

Yes, it will with the default settings .... but look at those settings and under Internet Explorer uncheck History. Also when installing the software, be sure to uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar option, unless you want it. Of those options during the software instal, the only one I leave checked is the Desktop Shortcut.
    But rather than use those URLs in the History, create a Shortcut in the Links Toolbar, so with one click you get the website you want. This is what it looks like - I've blotted out some names for privacy purposes. Wait a sec ... I'll have to post it in another message as the option doesn't appear in an edited message.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  15. DwnNdrty

Here' the Links toolbar example:
    Links.JPG

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Ah Ha !
    I forgot to mention zone alarm (free) I use version 70.337.000.
    It just runs quietly in the background which is probably why I forgot all about it!

Xpilot

17. DwnNdrty

There ya go andrea .... see what I mean ...
    I'm also on that version but there is an update available. Don't consider it urgent though.

18. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

One thing with ZoneAlarm - temporarily disable it when installing Acronis products - the two often have a bit of a bun fight with each other.

Once installed re-enable ZA it'll recognise a new program is trying to operate.

Just as an aside if any one haa Acronis Privacy Suite installed with the background malware checker running, this also will sometimes stall a TI install.

Colin

19. andreah1

Is CCleaner anything like Zappit? Not sure if you even know what that is, it's a Cloud Eight program? It sounds like the same thing and I use it all the time. I'm still leery on ZA, I was so happy to be rid of it...but, I know I will have to break down and put it back someday. Yeah, yeah, know I should do links, I'm terrible, I get set in doing things and don't want to change. All the stuff that has gone on the past week is teaching me change CAN be good!
    Think I'm waiting for the weekend to uninstall Norton, I'm betting it's no easy feat and I've had enough for awhile.

20. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Norton? Could have told you that a year ago+ I use Firefox instead of I.E.-doesn't hog your system either.:rolleyes:

21. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Andrea,
    1. Please! for your own security. Make NO changes or cleanup to your system until you have completed several full backups of all your partitions (both hidden & diagnostic). Plus; used your True Image Rescue CD to validate your newly created full and complete backup.. As you make cleanup or changes to your system, create another new backup. You can keep the old backup but it is mostly worthless because it has all your old system status. You could keep it for file information.

2. Remember, any file cleanup has a risk. Keep your backups current! I concur with the program selections suggested by Xpilot. I run Ccleaner & Easy Cleaner 2 on a regular basis and also use the registry cleaner associated with those programs.
    I have many more favorites but those above might whet your appetite.

3. If you're using Outlook Express for your e-mail client, this link can help. You can save your address book (*.wab) and emails using the export feature of the programs. Then later, use import if you want to recover some of the saved material or import into a new computer or e-mail client.
    http://www.insideoe.com/sitemap.htm

4: For additional reading material, I would suggest that you review the "Useful Forum Threads" listed in my signature below. Pay particular attention to the thread about "SecureZone & Startup Recovery Manager" which provides useful info about its benefits and limitations.

5. If you're interested in finding more useful information about how to use True Image, there are numerous helpful postings in the archives. Most questions have already been asked & answered. There are very few really new questions--except V11 has spawned more current discussion.

TI - new boy questions
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190281

Best way for making functioning images
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1047306

22. iHz

iHz Registered Member

Did you check to see if you have usb2?
    Only reason is, I always have problems backing up an image directly to an external drive, usb2 or not, usually always stalls, or takes way too long(I only backup via boot disc), so with usb1, it would be a nightmare.

Also, because you are planning to un-install, and install a fair bit of programs, and probably have done so over the years, you should really consider starting clean. Your machine should have a disc, which will allow you to install windows to the factory default, similar to what acronis image does. Then you can install all the programs you really need, one by one.

If I was in your position, I would:

a) install an internal hard drive (ok we'll skip that step :p)

A) backup all your data, emails, pics, bookmarks, program save files etc. to the external HDD.

B) Create a backup with acronis, to the external HDD.

C) restore the factory windows image that came with your pc.

D) use whatever program you have already to make the c: drive 30GB, and then make the other left over 45GB, a second partition.

E) install only the programs you need, and transfer all the emails, bookmarks and program data back to c:drive, and any updates you can tolerate using dial-up :) then defrag.

F) transfer your data, pics etc to the second partition you made.

G) make a backup using acronis to the second partition. It should be so much quicker. Transfer the image to the external drive if you want.

H) some day, try experimenting with installing an internal HDD :p

If anything drastic happens to you windows now, all your data and images will be on the second partition. And its alot quicker than an external drive. You can then transfer images and data to the external drive unattended, just for extra peace of mind.

23. andreah1

Man, you guys have alot of faith in me! Will take me awhile to do all that stuff, I work 2 jobs so only have an hour or two a day on my computer. But, over the next few weeks I will get my system up to par that's for sure! Oops, I totally forgot to check and see if I have USB2, I will remember tonight, I tried looking up my system on Dell but doesn't say anywhere what usb ports.
    I will check out all those free programs, actually, I have some of them so I'm already ahead of the game. And I promise, I'm not uninstalling anything until I have a full backup and I check it. I will make a bootable cd first and check things, this makes me feel all panicked again, afraid of doing stuff like this in fear of losing stuff but in order to check and make sure it works I have to. Ugh. I will def. read your links Grover when I get some free time. Geez, after I'm done with all this I'm gonna have to start charging my friends for my wealth of information, ha ha!!!! Ok, I will TRY to remember to see if I have usb2 tonight, my hard drive is coming fed ex so I expect it soon, yay!!!

24. andreah1

I AM getting smarter!!! I just figured out (by researching) that if I don't have usb 2 it's no problem to buy the ports and put them in a pci slot! They have them on newegg for less than 10 bucks! So, no matter what I can do the usb 2, won't be a big problem, I've installed stuff inside my computer before so I'm confortable with that. Woo hoo!

25. andreah1

Ok, it shows 5 usb ports and 5 usb roots, one is a usb 2, how do I figure out which one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.