Newbie Blues - IMON Confusion

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mwd, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwd

mwd Registered Member

I am new to NOD32 but believe it to be our new AV of choice. We use 2003 Server for a Cash Register Point of Sale application to about 13 clients in a simple workgroup. 1/2 in our location and 1/2 20 miles away via T1 line.

My brain is twisting over trying to understand 2 items.

1. I read IMON should be turned off on a server. We do not have to have email on our server but an internet connection is a must. Where, if any, will my protection come from potential internet garbage with IMON turned off? Am I understanding that I would have to let the garbage hit me... and then something else (AMON?) would take care of it?

2. Will we be able to use this Remote Administration with a workgroup only and not in a domain? Is it feasible on a small configuration such as ours? Can I deploy this on our main server without taxing it or should it be on a secondary server? Not quite getting this part.

Thanks...

mike

2. SKA

SKA Registered Member

3. mwd

mwd Registered Member

After talking my boss into a $1200.00 company wide anti-virus solution I shudder to think what he will say when I tell him "well we need to turn off the internet protection on the server".

I'm just hoping I don't understand this right.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi mwd, welcome to Wilders.

IMON will be REPLACED in version 3 with something better (from what we have been told).

IMON should be grayed out on a actual "Server" and being that it is a server no one should be accessing the internet on it anyway.

AMON will protect the server more than adequately. Your workstations will be protected by IMON.

There is a Tutorial for Workstations HERE and for the Enterprise Edition HERE

Cheers :D

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can try leaving IMON enabled, but no one can guarantee that the server will work properly. On certain systems it works fine, on the others not.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If you're using server 2003 on a point of sale system (*gasp*..dunno why it was chosen..but that's beyond this thread).....my hunch is that it is running in simple workgroup mode, not as a domain controller (DCPROMO hasn't been run).

Having it in plain workgroup mode...you're basically running it as a desktop OS..it's much like WinXP. You're most likely not using IIS and SMTP functions that would be present if it were running as a true server. Not joining active directory, you're not really using "server" stuff yet.

You're probably safe letting it run. IMON is an additional layer of protection that many other antivirus products don't have...disabling it does not leave you unprotected....as you still have AMON.

Remote Admin and Enterprise Edition work fine in a peer to peer network. Need to be a bit more careful in admin accounts on each workstation...keep things consistant.

7. mwd

mwd Registered Member

Yes.. we are following the advice of the POS people of which 2003 is their recommended OS.

Cat you are right... simple workgroup, no active directory use, no domain controller use, just a big beefy desktop sharing one program and a timeclock.

Although no one should be accessing the internet on a server may be the rule... or common sense... we absolutely have to on occassion.

Thank you for the input. I feel much better.

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

As for the "taxing" question, we have the Remote Administration Server running on a quad Pentium Pro 200 server, 512 MB RAM, Windows NT Server 4.0. It runs just fine. :)

It is quite feasible on a configuration as small as yours. The time you spend setting it up will more than pay for itself, once you see how easy it is to see what is going on at the 13 remote clients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.