Newbi needs help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vschmid, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vschmid

vschmid Registered Member

had following idea which I wanted to implement with 10.0
    but after studying the handbook and the installed software I could not mange it.

It wanted the following

Create a backupspace X in which I wanted to backup partition d with 3 incremental on a daily base
    and create a second backspace y I want for backup of partition e with 3 incremtnal backups on a weekly base.

I could create the backupspaces but did not found how I can define the rules for the backspaces .

Can someone give me a sample where I could enter the nexcessay data.

Thanks

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“did not found how I can define the rules for the backspaces”

I’ll be honest; I have no idea what you’re referring to here.
    If you’re talking about how to tell TI where to store the backup images, it’s in the wizard – you just need to expand the folder tree at the left and locate your backspaces, which I assume are partitions.

3. vschmid

Hi,

as I tried to describe I have installed already the backup storage via TI10 in a directory.
    Acording to the manual 6.1 there are backup rules and then backup guidelines
    in the backup guidelines is described which kind of backups I can define .

My problem is that I can not find a possibilty to define these rules for a specific backup. As mentioned I want simply have a disk partition D in a automatic backup mode with 3 incremental backup before a new complete backup is performed (like described in the manual). I have not find a way to get a panel to select this opportunity.

What I simply need is someone who has done this and could tell me which clicks and panels I have to use to achieve this-

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi vschmid,

I don't know the answer because I have not seen v10. However to try and clarify; could you question be rephrased something like :

"I would like to test ATI v10 archive management functionality, can anyone suggest how I can configure ATI to do this"

... or have I misunderstood?

F.

5. vschmid

Hi,

English is not my native language sorry. I try to describe what I want to do:

I have a partition d and e on my PC (add. to c) which I wanted to backup via an
    automated procedure
    for D I have created a backupsace on an external disk and I wish to have the possibilty that each day there is a backup of D to this backup space first a full backup and then 3 incremental backups and after the third another full backup.

By studying the manual of V.10 there is such a feature called Backup guidelines
    (Backup Richtlinien in German). Here it is described that I could enter the number of incremental backups.It also stated that if I use the assistent for Backup I could not do this for the backup space.But I havent found a panel in which I could enter the parameters and neither could I find a way for starting a backup without using the assistent.

Not to confuse people I have thought if I describe what I want to do there could be some help how I can do it.It could have written that I can not
    define an automated backup process but I think describing what I wanted to achieve is better then talking about processes I do not really understand.

As an idea for the people making the handbook that additonal to the description of panels and what they do it would be helpful to have some examples showing how things are done .

6. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

vschmid,

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but here's my best shot at it:

Sounds like you have already decided on two locations where you would like to store your backup files: one is an external drive for partition D backup files, and another location for partition E backup files.

And you want to schedule a full backup and three incremental backups every week for partitions D and E. With a new full backup and three more incremental backups each week, overwriting the previous week's backup each time.

Correct so far?

And you want to automate these backups. Take a look at this post by Foghorne and see if that strategy works for you. The only difference is that you would need to double the tasks that Foghorne mentions, because you are backing up two separate partitions to different locations.

You would create four separate folders for partition D and another four for partition E. Then you create eight scheduled tasks for each partition, the same as Foghorne's post indicates. Each partition will have a task to create the full backup each week and another for an incremental backup each week also. According to Foghorne's post, when your next scheduled full backup of a partition is created in the same backup location of the existing one, it will overwrite the existing one. Likewise, the next three incremental backups will overwrite the existing incremental backups one by one.

Give it a try and let us know how you make out.

7. vschmid

Thank you very much.
    Yes you have understood what I wanted to do.The differences in backup times
    was original intended by me that Partition D has a high changing frequenzy while
    partition E has only music with not so much changes.
    But after seeing the afford it is not worth the additional afford I can backup both partitions with the same timeschema and so have only one time the
    work.

My problem was that with the new TI 10 I have thought I could make a backup space like described in the manual and then define that in the same backup space I could locate the original and incremental backup and automatically TI 10 would handle this tasks.
    If you read the German manual it really describes a possibility like this but there was no way for me to find the panel where I could configure this backups like decribed.
    Maybe it is complete new in Version 10 and hidden for me or it is simple not translated correctly for non-profis (sounds better then newbie).
    Would be a nice feature making backup real easy and safe.
    I will try to implement the technique Foghorne uses and but together all
    partitions as one backup.For basic backup I have C-Drive on Secure zone anyway every second day.

Thanks again and for the patience to understand what I wanted to write and say.

Volker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.