Newbee really need help here.....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kamikaze, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamikaze

kamikaze Registered Member

Can someone show how to create a back up for partition which contain operating system. And how to recover it too.
    Thank you.

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Do you have a second hard disk, and if you do, does it contain partitions?

3. kamikaze

yes, i do have 2nd hard disk... and its not partition at all...

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Is the drive with your OS just a single partition?

In any case, make the bootable Rescue TI cd and boot with it.
    Select Image Backup.
    If your drive with the OS is a single partition, backup the entire drive.
    Save the resulting image to the second drive.

To Restore the Image, again boot with the TI cd.
    Select Restore.
    Follow the prompts for the Source and Destination drives.

5. kamikaze

no, the hard disk is divided into 2 partition, c and d drive (which c is my OS)

Since my OS in a single partition(c drive), so i just need to create backup archieve for that partition only right?

do you mean, i should save the .tib file to my other hard disk instead of my d drive?

when i boot with the TI cd that i created earlier, is that bring me into the windows to restore the image or it will restore the image outside windows?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP....
    Words cant describe how i appreciate it...

6. Chutsman

It is ALWAYS better to keep the backup Images on the non-booting drive since that drive is always in use when the computer is on and is most prone to either viruses or even catastrophic failue.

With the latest build of TI (#3567) it is supposed to let you backup just a single partition on a multi partition drive along with the MBR, which you need to boot when you do a Restore. I haven't yet seen anyone corroborate this, and I have not yet upgraded to that build to try it.

The bootable TI cd boots into Linux.

7. kamikaze

thanx to your post, i mange to recover my image. Thank you very very very much... :p

anyway, i realised when i try to recover the image, i found that acronis didnt detect my 2nd hard disk(non -booting drive) where i put my image. Therefore, i go back to windows, and relocate the image to the other partition of the OS hard disk.

8. Chutsman

I'm glad it worked for you. But I'm surprised that TI did not see your second hard drive. What version and build of TI are you using? And is that second drive an IDE or SATA?

9. kamikaze

v9.0 build 2337

SATA

What can be wrong here?

10. Chutsman

It being SATA may be the reason .... is the main drive also SATA?

You may have to upgrade to the latest build. I don't use SATA, but I think the bootable TI cd in that build may not have SATA drivers built in.

Perhaps others may have a better answer.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI 9 B2337 and several builds before it, support SATA drives. SATA drivers have been in Windows since SP1 was released.

I used TI 9 B2337 on a PC with 2 SATA drives with no problem.

Make sure you are looking for the drive or logical drive not the letters. The Linux rescue environment may assign different drive letters than Windows does.

12. kamikaze

it only detect one hard disk with 2 partition on it. which i said earlier, one of them is my OS. My 2nd hard disk contain no partition. Is that be a reason?
    I'm also very confused regarding this matter....

13. kamikaze

Yes, both of of my drive is SATA

14. Chutsman

You may be confusing the terminology here. Your 2nd drive has to have at least ONE partition. If it is divided like your first drive then it will have TWO partitions. If it is not divided then it has ONE partition.

Do you already have any thing on the second hard drive, like programs or data?

15. kamikaze

Its not divided... It is only has 1 partition....

Yes... I put data on that second drive...

16. Chutsman

Hmmm ... in that case then, I'm puzzled as to why TI does not see your second drive. Anyone else with suggestions?

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kamikaze,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please recreate the bootable rescue media with the latest build and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists, please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

18. kamikaze

Is it because my 2nd hard disk is considered dynamic. Therefore its not supported by Acronis True Image Home... So i think there would not be any diff if i did follow the instruction as the bottom line that it didnt support dynamic disk.

Please correct me if i'm wrong...

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kamikaze,

Yes, you are correct. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home does not support dynamic drives and therefore your second hard disk is not recognized when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Bootable Rescue CD. If you want to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home with your second hard disk then we recommend that you convert this drive back to basic (please see this previous thread for further details).

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.