Newbee asking XP advice for friend

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

ahh.. yeah it is too... It's been so long since I tweaked my system that forgot that, and must have got Xteq Setup for something I liked that Tweak did not have.... nm... at least it's there, LOL...

ice:... no, not out of line, a very good option.

Jan, I will put thinking cap on during my sleeptime [ :D ] and see what else may be of interest for you...

Oh one thing... Services, I see you already listed Blackviper and I like this one also, very easy to follow with full explanations of each service and recommendations. Some recommendatios you will have to take into account the actual environment the setup is in. For eg: Networked, Dial-up or Cable/Other, etc. but very easy to read and follow. It's in a nice format so a printout is a good idea to follow, and that way, you can mark on the page what the sevice was before and what you changed, so if something does not work, change it back.

SECURING SERVICES

Home Page of above site it list a whole heap of Security Options... brilliant!!

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/wxpp2.php

Cheers, TAS

EDIT: Jan, if trouble occurs with stopping/disabling services and you lose what you had done, you can recover by going to here to see what MS's Default Services were on install.

MICROSOFT DEFAULT SERVICES

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks guys ! :D

Lots of good links and advices !!!

Maybe I'll wait a little while with changing too much with respect to the "looks" of XP; it's her PC so it's her decision what she wants ;)
    But all those suggestions are really great !!!
    First thing is indeed to secure things.
    I forgot indeed about "Shoot the Messenger" and was looking for that thread with advices on IE 6. Problem is that I myself still have IE 5.5 SP2 and that my IEClean is also doing some of these things, so I needed indeed such guidelines.

Thanks a lot !
    Keep them coming your advices :D

Cheers, Jan.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i was going to edit that shoot the messenger because i think you can use xp antispy or auto-patcher to either remove or/and disable messenger

4. Tassie_Devils

Jan.. the Iceman ;) has already given GRC site.. here is another link with all utilities listed.

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

eg: DCOM tester...

okie. I am off..

Cheers, TAS

Edit: Yes ice XP AntiSpy does, plus disable Windows Media Player garbage and lots more...

Attached Files:

• 097.GIF
      097.GIF
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  7. Tassie_Devils

Jan, one more item that may be of interest. [Did not see it listed unless I am going blind].

IANAG [Iam Not A Geek, lol] ...... bit like XP Anti-Spy but has some more features in it.

Very simple to use.

http://www.iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=116&page=1&topic=Security

TAS

edit:

8. J at A

J at A Guest

A very frustrated Jan here (LOL.......)

The frustration of not having your own apps, not your own OS, not etc....

Why did I ever say OK, I'll try to help ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.