Newb question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by camped69, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camped69

camped69 Registered Member

I am a new user to ATI10 and I have just done a clean install of xp config'd the way I like and now I want to image the disk in case of failure. I have read on these forums not to setup the secure zone which I have already done. So my question is should I remove the secure zone and then image or just go ahead and image the drive. Also I will store the image on another internal hard drive, is there anything I should know in advance about such a strategy?

thanks

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

That's the best place to store an image - on a separate internal drive. The SZ is not necessary unless you think someone might accidentally delete your backup image on the other internal drive. Yes, remove the SZ.

3. camped69

Did an incremental update to the original image and now when I go to verify it is corrupt. Unfortunately they have the same name and access date?!?, which is not how I saved them, they are different sized though. Whatever, I guess I'll just erase the SZ and reimage the drive. Thanks for the reply.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello camped69,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine describing backup naming scheme.

There can not be two files with the exact same name, unless they are stored in a different folders. Therefore, could you please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to create the image archive (full backup and incremental backup). Also provide the name of these backup archives.

Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows to create the image archives? Where are the image archives stored? Could you please validate the image archives when booted your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD and let us know the exact check-out result?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. camped69

The drive that the backups were has apparently died so I cannot give you the names of the backup files. But what I can tell you is that I initially created a SZ on my new shiny install then proceeded to do a full backup w/ATI inside of windows xp at normal compression and placed it on the now dead drive. Then about 3 mos. later I did an incrememntal backup w/High compression. After the backup was completed I verified the backup inside of ATI and ATI repoerted that the backup was no good. So I figured that I would delete the incremental backup and try it again with normal compression. There were 2 files in the backup location which had the same name and date created/accessed yet were different sizes. I will look at your other post. I gave both files very obvious and simple names but the backups did not reflect this. xp intially showed both files with the same exact file size but after reboot they were different. This is the second drive that has went bad in a short time, coincidence? maybe. I just find that ATI seems to have some issues. It has options that apparently shouldn't be used and no explanation inside the program as to what "not to do".

So after I purchase a new drive I want to make an image of my current install w/ ATI10. Can you point me to information on what the best bullet proof method is? Should I create a seperate partition on the new HD for backups and is there an issue with using disk defragmenter on a drive that has ATI backups on it?

Thanks for the reply.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello camped69,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I am sorry, but I am a little lost here. As I understood, you do the following:

- "created a SZ on my new shiny install then proceeded to do a full backup w/ATI inside of windows xp";

- Then "did an incrememntal backup" to this full backup archive stored in Acronis Secure Zone;

But then you said "So I figured that I would delete the incremental backup and try it again with normal compression. There were 2 files in the backup location" and "I gave both files very obvious and simple names".

Please note that it is not possible to manually manage (delete, copy etc) backup archives stored in Acronis Secure Zone.

If you used Backup Locations, which provides automatic archive naming function, the backup file names should be as follows (2007_01_23_15_17_10_687D.TIB for full backup and 2007_01_23_15_17_10_687D2.TIB for the first incremental/differential backup) You can find the explanation of the backup file names stored in the backup location in this previous post of mine.

Also both Acronis Secure zone and backup location do not require file name for the backup archive. It will be created automatically.

Note that the backup archive is a regular file and, therefore, you can use disk defragmentation tool on the partition where the file is located with no restrictions.

Also since you have a additional hard drive for the backup archives there is no need to use Acronis Secure Zone, since the main purpose of it is to provide storage area for those users who have only one hard drive. If you would like to use automatic archive management, I would recommend that you create a backup location on that drive. You could find this thread <delete inkremental Backups after a defined time> describing how to use backup locations useful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.