**NEW** ZoneAlarm release 13

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fax, Mar 25, 2014.

1. fax

fax Registered Member

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

The detection rate is indeed affected as UDS signatures (KSN network) is not in ZAfree. I don't know to which extent... sorry
    I would still think ZAfree+AV provide good AV coverage and surely better than other low end solutions (MSE, AVG).

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thank you Fax, that "offer" at least reduce a few dollars off the regular fare :eek: pity that they don't have prices for 1-pc only..

Thanks for confirming about the TE technology ;)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome!!

5. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

question: za free av+firewall do i get product updates via the update function or do i have to download the installer and install over the old one? theres a new version out http://sc1.checkpoint.com/sc1/za/release-history/zafavfw.html

i noticed in the za updater it said that there are no new product updates but as the link above says, there is an update to the product

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Here:
    The Automatic Check for updates is not working

and... yes, you can update on top of old. Best is always to remove the old and install the new.
    If you are on 13.1, you are fine. Not worth to install the new, just an minor update.

7. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

as soon as i have internet re connected thursday (just got done moving) im going to give this a try. ive had a real urge recently to use it for some reason.

EDIT: how does the "HIPS" work in this? as i understand it its not really a hips at all and the posts i seen on the subject didnt make alot of sense to me. Maybe someone with some experuence with this suite could clarify?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

i just installed the latest version of the za free av+fw a few days ago. it did install the toolbar and some browser search engine even though i clicked the 'skip all offers' button. but i kinda xpected that so i backed up my firefox profile before installing, then deleted my firefox profile after installing and restoring the backup + uninstalled toolbar. this seems to have worked - just so that you know.

as for the program itself i find it very good -dont know about hips as i dont know what that is!

9. Circe

Circe Registered Member

HIPS explained - http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/hips-explained.htm

10. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I think ZoneAlarm is a pretty good product that receives little attention.

Just from a quick search on ZA tests, the software seems to score pretty well.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2144905/zonealarm-extreme-security-review.html
    ZoneAlarm PRO Firewall 2015
      • EDITOR RATING: EXCELLENT

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-zonealarm-free-antivirus-plus-firewall-2013/

ZoneAlarm has some compelling antivirus features, including “Advanced Real-Time Antivirus”—basically, a constantly-updated cloud database of antivirus signatures—a two-way firewall, protection against hidden files in email attachments and downloads, and anti-keylogging.

http://www.av-test.com/tests/projects/AV-TEST_Checkpoint_ZoneAlarm_Jan_2014.pdf
    Compared to the regular public certification testing that AV-TEST does this version of the Check Point
    product would have ended up as one of the top products.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, historically the wilders audience has been pretty much hating it... so don't expect this to change in the near future :D
    The true is that ZA provides a solid tool for the users that likes something to install and forget or with minimal nuisance to the user. But does not fit well with users wanting more granual or 'paranoid' control or a tool that pass all those useless test out there....

12. Antimalware18

I'm installing the free version and the only off putting this is it only updates every 24 hours unless you want to press the update button all day long. But im wondering....wouldbt it be pissible to make a task via task scheaduler to run the virus definitions updater as many times a day as you wish? lol

13. ance

ance formerly: fmon

No, there is no separate update process.

14. Antimalware18

well crap :(

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Here you have a brief overview of areas covered by the ZA HIPS:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/inclient/ZA_HelpCenter_paid/71898.htm

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It IS a regular HIPS, but you can´t configure it in a handy way, with that I mean, it´s an all or nothing approach. You can´t give apps only certain rights. And the firewall part used to be cool, but now the GUI is very unhandy. :thumbd:

17. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Weird. "Skip all offers" usually works for me.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, indeed it works fine, probably just a "clicking" oversight...
    In any case as the toolbar has a separate unistaller. You can simply unistall from the OS "unistall a program" with no issue whatsoever.

19. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

ZA website is under maintenance and their forums are totally offline. Any info?

20. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Maybe ZA 2016 is coming out.

21. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I tried the demo version of the Extreme Edition. I was very pleased with it and some of it's features. There was no noticeable slowdown of any function on my PC or Internet browsing. I also liked the Optimize feature, which had some unique tools.

A couple of things. In the ads I see absolutely no mention of heuristics. Is ZA Extreme entirely cloud based signature detection??

Also I wish I had known of the ZA uninstall tool. I still have several months to go on my current Anti-Malware/Firewall subscription, so as impressed as I was i uninstalled it through the normal Control Panel Uninstall Process.

Uninstalling ZA Extreme via Windows Control Panel Uninstall CRASHED my PC making it unable to to boot into windows and not allowing me to repair, restore, refresh,or reinstall Windows because the pc would only allow me to make 2 working click-ons before freezing. Luckily I had Raxco Software's Instant Rescue on my system so at least I had a fully operational PC from what is known as the Rescue Area.

Raxco's Instant Rescue works by creating an independent Recovery Area on your hard drive and copying your existing system , referred to as the Originial Area onto it. Prior to booting into Windows you are given the option of booting to the Recovery Area. Then you are supposed to be able to copy the working Recovery Area back onto the Original Area. Uninstalling ZA so totally borked my system that Instant Rescue was not able to fully copy back my system to the original area.

After at least 20 attempts of copying back my Recovery Area to the Originial area and using every technique and tool available to me to fix my PC after approximately four days of round the clock work, I was able to reinstall Windows by booting and installing from the Windows 8 disk. That's how extensive the damage caused by uninstalling ZA was

(I kid you not about the 4 days round-the-clock effort. As a result of an accident I am currently handicapped and unable to leave my home in which I live alone and I am heavily dependent on my PC. I was in Panic Mode. For a variety of reasons I am not able to order a PC on-line or have one delivered to my condo unit, so unless my PC could be fixed I would have been screwed. My financial and personal survival are heavily dependent on my PC).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  22. gery

gery Registered Member

Back to my old friend ZAE . Upgraded today for 19 bucks from FWAV and i think i made the right decision.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

7/29/2014 UPDATE: New ZoneAlarm Version Available 13.3.052.000

ZoneAlarm has released to all users of Paid and Free products 13.3.052.000

What has changed:
    • New: Antivirus Engine
    • New: Anti-Spam with Windows 8.x and Outlook 2013 support
    • Updated: Firewall Driver (security and other fixes)
    • Improved: Localization fixes
    • Improved: Stability and performance enhancements

Click here to Download

24. gery

gery Registered Member

What does new av engine mean? is it not the same engine ? or new version

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Same manufacturer (Kaspersky) but latest version. Sorry no info on the exact changes to the SDK kaspersky engine only that its a new version.
    I guess its the latest SDK version released by Kaspersky been implemented in ZA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.