New ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Here's the changes to the new ZA Pro:

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.1.737.000

* Fixed - Compatibility issues with Adaptec USB driver
    * Fixed - Nortel VPN can not connect
    * Fixed - Antispyware update failure
    * Fixed - Compatibility issue when System Mechanic Startup Guard is enabled
    * Fixed - PdaNet can't connect
    * Fixed - Problems with GotomyPC
    * Fixed - VSNET 2003 issues
    * Fixed - TrueVector application error in event viewer log
    * Fixed - High vsmon CPU usage
    * Fixed - "Deny" Button in program alert pushed off the edge
    * Fixed - Icons lost in program list after upgrade
    * Fixed - PC Cillin 2006 issue
    * Fixed - System stability issues
    * Fixed - Various other bug fixes

Check the ZoneLabs site for the others...

2. roflmania

roflmania Registered Member

it's not too shabby if you ask me.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Nope, Zone Alarm is pretty good, free or paid.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Always good to see that they are fixing things, and not just adding new features.

5. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Here is the additional fix for ZASS and ZA AV, in addition to those above:

* Fixed - Isafe (AV email scan) is running after turned off

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Recently i ve criticized ZA too for slowing down my browsing,but i just tried this new version and my speed is just as good as it was with Kerio 2.Morevover for normal browsing i ve 0% CPU and this is the first time it happens to me with ZA.This one is a keeper!Huge improvement on my PC compared to the previous versions.

7. Hyperion

I will also add that behaves very well with Emule too (with which ZA has a long history of bad relations).I see no cut on the download speed and CPU use of vsmon is max 3%.

8. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I can honestly say I'm quite impressed with this latest version (using ZoneAlarm Free).

The memory usage is sitting around 20-21MB (vsmon and zlclient combined) and I can detect no slowdown whilst surfing etc.

One thing I've noticed – I cannot seem to grant passlock permission to my programs. The help file says to, "Select a program from the list, then click Options". The thing is, there's no options button to be found :doubt:

9. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Registered Member

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can answer this for me... I use the free ZoneAlarm, and when I checked for updates, it said there was one and I downloaded the .exe fle for it (after I was prompted to do so). The file that it downloaded is called:

zlsSetup_61_737_000_en.exe

I assumed this is a new entire version of the program, and it sounds like the one you're talking about in this thread. But a post in this thread implied that this is ZoneAlarm Pro -- isn't that the paid version?

I just don't want to update to this, then find out that I've updated to the paid version that I'll only be able to use for 30 days or something before it runs out for free when I've got the free all-the-time previous version on my computer now -- know what I mean?

So is this .exe for the free version or the paid version? If it's the paid, is there an update for the free version?

Also, if it is the free version, and I update -- should I completely uninstall the previous version before running this .exe? If so, how do you recommend doing that (so that all the old files are gone -- and do I use add/remove programs or the ZoneAlarm uninstaller, etc.)?

Thanks for the help! :)

-- bloomcounty

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That file looks like the free version, but if you're in doubt, why not just go to a download site like MajorGeeks and grab it there, either directly from ZoneLabs link on MG or from one of their mirrors.

http://majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

You can generally install new version right over the old ones. It asks you if you want to do an Upgrade or new install, just say Upgrade. It will preserve your old settings. I just installed a new version over top of an old one on a Win98 machine here today without any problems..

11. unhappy_viewer

ZA (Free) no longer has the pass-lock feature available since vrsion 6.0. You can still lock and stop internet connections but you won't be able to allow applications to pass-lock.

12. unhappy_viewer

The installer is the same for both ZA Pro and ZA (free). ZA(free) is merely ZA Pro with the additional features turned off. If you input a valid license key into an installed ZA(free), it will automatically convert to ZA Pro with no additional intallation required.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I downloaded the new ZA free and must say that, although I've never been a ZA fan, this one might change my mind. I don't notice any slowdown at all, either on startup or while on the Internet.

I do have one question that some here might think kind of silly. The free version is basically just the firewall. When ZA announces a new version, is the firewall itself also updated or is this essentially the same firewall that was in the old versions?

I see all sorts of new things added to the package, and lots of fixes, but little about an actual improvement in the firewall itself. Is that the True Vector, and has it been updated to handle the problems of today?

14. unhappy_viewer

Every time a new version of ZA is announced, the firewall engine(TrueVector Security Engine) also goes through changes. ZA displays the version of the true vector engine in its "Product Info" tab in the "Overview" section of ZA. The numerical version of the engine should be the same as ZA. This also applies to all types of ZL's firewalls.

15. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Thanks mate, I didn't know this :)

I'm happy to stay with the free version as I don't want the extra features that the Pro version offers, I'd only turn them off.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. I prefer to keep ZoneAlarm as pure as possible. Security is already messy enough.

Downloaded the new version and turned my modem OFF.
    Un-installed the old version - rebooted - installed the new version - rebooted and turned my modem ON without any troubles as usual.
    I wonder if an un-install is really necessary.

17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I`ve been using ZA Pro since the 90`s and I must say that this seems to be the best one in a long time. It works great on my machine with a smaller footprint too. That`s a plus.

18. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi. I was wondering whether anyone here knows if this new ZA Pro version can be moved to by upgrading rather than the full install method.

As many people know, there were severe problems with upgrading to a recent ZA Pro 6 version, and I actually had to uninstall it & revert to ZAP 5.

I will, of course, also check out the ZA Users Forum. Thanks.

19. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I used the upgrade feature and it went as smooth as any with no problems.

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow creatures,
    Glad to see all of these positive postings on ZA. Especially since the Free Firewall offerings are continuing to shrink.

Also, I agree with those who state the fixes should be in place before expanding the feature offerings and it is best to keep those offerings to the paid version so those who want simple, lighter firewalls have a good ZA choice too. ;)

Good news indeed. :)

21. Hyperion

I have found only one small bug till now.I always use give permission manually to applications (ZAF).When Outlook wants to connect to pop3,it asks me to connect to local host (127.0.0.1) and not the IP of the pop3.Probably there is a confusion with the permission i gave to poptray (my mail notifier).This was happening to me again with poptray and the antivirus pop3 scanner in Sygate (Sygate was asking permission for only 1 of the 2).

But this release is so good,that i find this negligible.Finally i find a WORTHY substitute to Kerio2.Maybe doesn't have the granularity in port selection of Kerio 2,but ZAF was my first firewall and i always loved its per session manual permission.

22. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

23. LoveZA6.1

LoveZA6.1 Guest

This version is very fast! No internet slow down at all. Like defragging the hard drive. Fast and cheap. It's free and I love it!!

24. unhappy_viewer

When you have AVs that do email scanning (or some Spam protection application), your email program does not make a direct connection to your email servers. Instead it sends the message to your AV for scanning via the loopback adaptor. Your AV will then scan and send your email on your behalf. ZA should prompt that your AV's email scanning module is making a connection to your email server, and that it is sending an email(only available in paid versions of ZA). So there isn't a bug related to this aspect of ZA.

25. Hyperion

Thanks for the info!Now i feel even better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.