new yahoo mail massive spam problem?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by imdb, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

howdya guys
    after a long time of resistance to switching, i unwillingly switched to new yahoo mail, because of some limitations classic version had.
    but, the very moment i switched to new version, hundreds of new contact requests and messages from complete strangers, people i don't know started to pop up. spam messages, no doubt about it.
    so i reverted back to good ol'classic mail. but i need to swicth to new version because of limitations. so, fellas, how can i prevent this from happening when i switch to new mail?
    thanks & regs.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I'm not signed up for pulse and have had the exact same thing. I have been with yahoo for over 6 years, and never had this issue until 2 weeks ago.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

In the link there are also instructions on making your profile private in addition to the Pulse issue. Myself, I have stuck with the old classic mail. With classic, I have not noticed any increase in spam. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I got a spam mail.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have had a Yahoo! Mail account for about 10 years, I haven't noticed any spam explosion yet (I've used the 'new' mail for quite a while). I hope this spam problem isn't a portent of things to come.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've used yahoo classic as a disposable for many years. It's always been a spam catcher, varying between 15 and 30 per month with a few infected each time. Just checked it and found 55 new spam in the last 3 weeks, 6 infected. As usual, the Norton scanner there doesn't detect the 2 most recent ones. It may be too soon for me to say that there's more spam, but if the rate I saw continues, I'll definitely say yes. I don't use their new mail so I can't comment on whether there's an additional increase due to exploiting its features.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have been using a Yahoo! mail as one of my spam mails for the last 8 - 9 years and well, with so many spam i don't even know if there is more or less, i just know there are thousands and thousands of spam mails. :D :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Roughly the same here. I do get a little spam but it's manageable.
    There were a few irritants but I worked them out: something about someone want to add me to their contacts, IIRC.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I have several Yahoo! Mail accounts, all are using the latest interface. I see very little spam in those accounts.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, they seemed to experiment with some sort of social networking nonsense for a while, but I haven't even seen that for a while. Thankfully.

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank y'all, guys.

now that's what i'm talking about.
    and yes when i switch back to classic, all are gone.
    i'll give a try to what tgell said, and see if it sorts out the prob.
    regs.

edit: even though i never used it, source of the problem seems to be the integrated yahoo messenger's contact list settings.
    after i changed it, the problem's gone.
    regs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Finally, it has arrived downunder, but I am not ready or willing to make the switch. ;)

ScreenShot_Yahoo! Mail_upgrade_not yet_01.jpg

ScreenShot_Yahoo! Mail_upgrade_not yet_02.jpg

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yahoo!Mail...are getting tricky, but after clicking on 'No Thanks', it opened up to the "Classic" look. :)

ScreenShot_Yahoo!Mail_new_01.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.