New Worm Locks Documents with Password

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by SUPERIOR, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

full story

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hardly call this new, but ok.

3. SUPERIOR

actually, never heard about any malware does the same thing i mean lock any kind of files .... its just puzzling why worm would lock documents..then doesnt lead to some ransomewares? they say it's just for annoying...
    but as to their analyzing, i guess it's just skiddie worm...first it supports old version of windows not latest ones(like vista or seven)
    second its way of propagation seems like simple
    third, password long but only numbers ..which makes it more easily be bruteforced

the only thing i find interesting is "locking documents" as it's new symptom for me

but i was wondering, if file was set to "read only" does it have the ability to lock it? or thats impossible o_O?

4. elapsed

5. SUPERIOR

ooh...thanks alot for the info and links...actually never heard them before
    so that worm has nothing new at all...then i am wondering why great company like panda would take this seriously:doubt:

btw, do you know a good source to get samples of ransom trojans? or if you can pm me with links

Thanks in advance

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

From the article:

7. elapsed

One would hope that AV companies take all malware threats seriously ^^

But if you want my opinion of it, AV companies sometimes like to race to be "first" to document a new threat. This generally increases sales/awareness of product as the articles are technically advertising the product company writing it.

If you want to go further there are sometimes users that actively switch AV product because they are told AV product X detects new threat Y, but I don't think that's a very common thing.

8. SUPERIOR

very true, maybe they dont like but they have to ;)
    PS : i havent tried panda for long time, panda can fix this infection, i mean delete the password from infected files? anyone have an idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.