New Windows XP data transfer tool and end of support notifications

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Compu KTed, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Question: anyone thats still running XP should they make sure there updated with all security fixes and patches before this dead line?

or will the final updates always be available for DL

5. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

Gosh, I did not know that Laplink still exists. Where's my Norton Commander?! Anyway, my netbook (Toshiba NB100) runs on Win XP. It is about three years old and I think I will keep it for a couple of more years. Also, MS will provide security patches until 2015...

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

For XP? Where did you read that?

7. Haggishunter

Haggishunter Guest

@SweX: I do not remember, sorry. But MS certainly will provide security patches until middle of 2015, since there are still a lot of corporate users. No joke, seriously. Remember: This refers to security patches only. (But then again: Who needs them? Win XP as it is is excellent.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  8. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

End of XP support date with popups

The notification will reoccur on the 8th of every month unless disabled by the user.

UPDATE 3/4: WSUS/SCCM/Windows Intune managed PCs will not see notifications informing them
    that support for Windows XP will end on April 8th, 2014. Only Windows XP PCs
    (Windows XP Home and Professional editions) who receive updates via Windows Update will see
    these notifications.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...er-tool-and-end-of-support-notifications.aspx

Microsoft will continue to provide updates to their antimalware signatures and engine for
    Windows XP users through July 14, 2015.

MMPC

* We've received some inquiries about what "no longer supported operating system" means.
    To clarify, this mean that, after April 8, 2014, Windows XP users will no longer receive
    new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or
    online technical content updates from Microsoft.

February 5, 2014: We’ve received several inquiries about the difference between security
    updates and antimalware signatures, as well as the Malicious Software Removal Tool
    (MSRT) for Windows XP. You can find answers to these questions and more on our Windows XP
    end of support page.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

If you want to use Microsoft Security Essentials on XP, better install before 4/8/2014
    as Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on
    Windows XP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have used their PCmover software on several occasions. I used it transfer many of the programs I had installed on an old hard drive to another computer.
    Also, when I switched from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit, I used it to transfer all the software I had installed to the clean install of Windows 7 64.

It's not perfect, but it works.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I guess you talk about the extended support for businesses, but that is not free and those who wants it need to pay for each machine running XP.

Security patches is important, even if we can install software that may stop an attack, it's still not the same as when MS fixes them in the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.