New Version of Windows Planned for Older Machines ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by newstemp, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newstemp

newstemp Registered Member

Hello,

I read an article recently about a planned new cut back version of Windows that would run on older Win98 era machines still in use by, e.g., libraries etc. Can anyone verify this story as I am now looking for new anti-virus software for a friend's Win98 SE machine since AVG stopped their support.

Thank you,

DH

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here is one that will work om Win98

Attached Files:

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

4. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Omniquad, VirusFighter, VirusBuster, ProtectorPlus, a-asuared antimalware, are all paid and do well on 9x/ME systems, and Rising Free AV will work on 9x/ME quite well. I'd rather get a free on demand scanner and a paid real time antispyware such as SAS or OmniQuad or an old a-squared from filehippo.com, and which supports 9x/ME. From my experiences, it "ain't" the viruses that get you -- it's the crapware!

Dave

Add Dr. Web, NOD32 for Legacy Systems -- all paid.
    AVZ www.z-oleg.com, ClamAV and ClamWin are free sans real time.

5. newstemp

newstemp Registered Member

Hello,

what is the advantage of a paid "realtime" anti-spyware program vs a free anti-spyware program included with, e.g., Avast ?

DH

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Well, the paid AS will support your 98 SE operating system much longer than avast!, which shall discontinue 98 support in December. And 20-25 bux or so it worth it. Stick with the AV you like but START SHOPPING NOW for an paid AS --

OR!

Download the FREE BitDefender Version 10 from filehippo.com, keep it handy. when avast! drops 9x/ME support. Load BD 10 FREE and during the install, choose the COMPLETE option. You shall have VM protection, AS/AV on-access protection, download and P2P protction and email scanning on a 9x/ME machine as well as some registry protection.

THIS WORKS ONLY ON 9x/ME PCs!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.