New version of sophos is out!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by karll, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karll

karll Guest

Think it's version 5, has anyone tested it out yet? price by the way?

2. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Yes it is, Sophos Enterprise 5.0.1, and its actually really nice. The interface is really clean and pretty, but I have no idea about detection. However, they still won't sell it to the personal market, which I think is a mistake but oh well... ;)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

New version was mentioned here

Sophos is mainly pitched at the Corporate market and therefore most licenses cover multiple machines.

Therefore these multiple licenses are generally supplied with discounts for Charities and Educational Authorities such as found here

I have, however, seen annual single-license CD versions available for over £100!

Therefore, SAV is not the most ideal Home AV solely on cost grounds. But maybe worth trying if your workplace has a site-license which covers Home use.

As regards the older version and detection, it's on-demand scanner was classed as Standard/Advanced at this testing site

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

The problem with eval is that i can't download their actual program. I got a test user account and password though.

6. Blackcat

Support is excellent.

ITW detection is good and as noted in post 3 above, on-demand zoo detection is classified as Standard/Advanced. Therefore, as regards protection, probably not quite on par with NOD and McAfee.

But it is a very lightweight scanner, having no noticeable effect on system performance; a characteristic shown even by the new version. Therefore, on par with NOD in this respect but runs a lot lighter than the Home McAfee.

However, as mentioned previously, it cannot really be considered as a typical "Home" AV.

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

( Never realize Blackcat is in UK as well;.... always got mixed up you and Bigc coz you both start with an "B" :p )

Sophos is popular in UK ( Gaining Ground Faster than anyone can imagine, this min i thought " WOW, they are using Sophos .... " the next you heard somewhere will start to use Sophos next year )

Can you tell me the Ram usage of Sophos? And its Gene heuritics ptotection. And as far as i can tell the engine is still 3.9 but product version is 5....

So only the interface has change?

( Can someone post screenshot? )

8. Blackcat

Have found a much cheaper offer HERE. Only £81 for a 2-year license!!!!

I have not tried out the link but if this is a genuine offer then the price of an individual license of SAV is becoming a little more reasonable. But it is still very costly.

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

So this is 40 pounds per year. Isn't this now averge around the same as Mcafee and Norton? So it isn't totally unaffordable anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.