New version of EMET is now available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I'd rather just keep Sandboxie, it closes all barriers. :D

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

EMET and Sandboxie are totally different technologies, so I'm not sure why this is an either/or decision. It could / should(?) be an "and" decision.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Exactly!

We aren't asked to choose one over the other!

Emet, I could view as a last line of defence in my layered world view.

IF (big word) a parasite somehow got in to my setup, past the moat, the iron gate, the high wall, the burning oil, and the archers then EMET has a good chance of plunging the intruder into quicksand so he can't move or do squat.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

EMET isn't a last line. It's still a preventative measure. Last lines are things like UAC or Antiviruses, which assume that you're already infected.

EMET really just hardens your programs to protect from specific types of attacks.

5. Escalader

We are word smithing here.

No, a last line to me (you may think differently:cool:) is a tool like EMET that deals with a parasite that has penetrated your setup or mine.

If EMET is using it's list of mitigations to block a parasite from executing using one of the vulnerabilities that ESET deals with, clearly it is present in memory.

So this intruder got by your FW, my AV, my HIPS my sandbox and now only faces EMET.

Take care !

6. Hungry Man

Yes what I'm saying is that EMET does not deal with anything once it's on your system. If you have a virus EMET will not do anything. What it does is hardens applications to prevent exploits.

If it's gotten past your AV there is nothing EMET will do.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't think that's accurate.

Imagine a PDF file exploiting a vulnerability in Adobe Reader. The antivirus has no malware/exploit definition to detect the exploit. But, if Adobe Reader is under EMET's protection, then the user still has got a chance to be protected.

8. Hungry Man

In that case EMET is your first line of defense... it's a system hardening tool. If malware programatically avoids EMET and infects your program you need some sort of HIDS. EMET is a HIPS (Host Infection Prevention System), by definition it's a front line defense.

9. m00nbl00d

I didn't say otherwise. ;) I just meant that, even if the the antivirus/antimalware doesn't detect it, there's still EMET. I'm excluding anything else. So, EMET won't be useless in case antivirus/antimalware fails.

I agree with you, EMET is one of the first lines of defense, not a last one.

10. Hungry Man

They're two separate things. The types of attacks that would be prevented by EMET are not going to ever be stopped by an antivirus because they don't involve downloading any files. EMET prevents against direct attacks on (usually) internet-facing programs that would exploit known vulnerabilities. Antiviruses are for when a user accidentally downloads a malicious file.

But good haha as long as we agree.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  11. m00nbl00d

I'm only saying based on watching antimalware apps flagging PDF files etc. exploiting vulnerabilities. If they're lying... that's another thing. :p

12. Escalader

Well thinking different is a good thing.

If the user removes all layers of defence, his FW, his sandboxie, his AV his ASW but leaves only EMET in place then I agree with you both EMET is his first line of defence.
    :thumb:

13. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Can EMET and Sandboxie be used peacefuly together in order to protect the browser?
    Thanks

14. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I have been using sandboxed Firefox and IE9 under EMET max protection without any problem.

15. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Sandboxie haven't recognice the new version, so in my case it's shown as EMET 2.0 on sanboxie compatible program. But nevertheless it work just fine.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, I used the same programs on both with no problems.

17. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Nice wishlist :D

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

EMET a HIPS? Really?
    If we're going to haggle over semantics, let's just call EMET indeed an OS/system hardening tool.
    Before you know, some newbie asks for a HIPS recommendation and someone else replies, he read about the HIPS EMET being recommended...

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting wishlist guest. I agree with all of them except for 8 (or is that 7?), because EMET is useful for protecting older versions, and of course a HIPS. Both are not what EMET is made for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.