New version FirstDefense-ISR Professional v1.10.173

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by King FN Kong, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I agree with EA. But FDISR and RollbackRx/EazFix have other benefits too. You can use it to make different configurations. Like a gaming configuration, different users can have their own environment for example. Testing software not worrying about it messing up your system (hence the ISR)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You know the complaining about the right click thing is kind of funny. I never knew about it as I always just clicked on the the camera icon. But I also suspect that the right click thing is not sloppy, but by design. Design to help keep you from doing the wrong thing. This may be something the author feels important.

If you don't want this software because of that, then you either really don't need it or understand it. But thats your choice.

Pete

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Who said that he doesn,t want it due to that?

4. Peter2150

He did.

5. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

You really are a lost cause wilbertnl :doubt: Do you remember DOS and having to use the command line? The applications were efficient and functional but the user interface was difficult. Linux has moved to a user friendly front end. The whole point of a GUI is to provide a woekable and functional user interface. If it is flawed then fix it.

A lot of the Vista rewrite has been to get ride of redundant and annoying interface elements that do not work Obviously Microsoft is wasting its time?

More importantly is the issue of timely development. Go further in Wilders than this forum and check out Ghostsecurity. The program has stagnated for over a year and is still in beta. Then check out System Safety Monitor. Both interface and functional program elements have changed dramatically in the last 3 months in direct response to user input. Note that both aspects have changed.

As for the "back" end, I ask myself why snapshot compression has apparently taken so long to implement in FDISR. I then ask why it does not offer incremental and differential snapshots which can be compressed to save disk space. Very few program changes affect Windows directories greatly at all. Most troublesome alterations occur in the Registry which accounts for maybe 35mb (plus or minus) so why do I need to duplicate my entire system other than anchored files(?) multiple times.

May I also suggest EricAlbert that our definitions of "security" appear to differ. My dictionary defines it to mean 'safety', "confidence" or "protection". Isn't that what having the ability to immediately recover ones system entails;)

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes it differs, but it doesn't matter, words are just words.
    As long you don't compare FDISR with scanners, HIPS, firewalls, ... it's OK. :)

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

How did you figure? My editor of choice is vi.
    Allow me to bring eazFix to your attention, it's different concept might interest you.

8. Peter2150

Hi Tony

I suspect the reason compression was long time coming is it may not have been very important to the early and major customers of the program. I know for me it is almost irrelevant. I haven't tested but I suspect the compressed snapshots add time to imaging because the compressed snapshots have to be expanded. be an interesting test.

As for differential/incremental snapshot. I doubt we will see them as they don't make sense. The whole point is to have from 2 to 10 snapshots that are totally independent. That way no matter how badly something effects a snapshot it doesn't affect all the others. Suppose I have one snapshot and create a 2nd snapshot. After that all the others are incremental changes. Then something I install in snapshot two trashes something basic in windows. That could kill all the other snapshots. In fact what you are describing is really more like Rollback/Eaz-fix. They had some serious reliablitlity problems early one. Although those seem to be fixed, frankly I would hope FDISR stays just the way it is.

Every one assuming that the FDISR developers are slouching because their pet desire isn't there, but I suspect the truth is the developers have a reason for what they are doing.

Pete

9. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

No disrespect Peter but I don't want the user confused so I must bring up killdisk :) it will destroy all the snapshots of FDISR but only the working snapshot of Rollback/Eazfix. Very different than what your saying, and yes I uderstand that you can have archives to restore back to.

Thanks,

Chris

10. ErikAlbert

Killdisk is not a problem, because it can be recovered via image restore.
    I don't want incremental backups either, because they are not independent. If one of these incremental backups fails your restoration is a mess.
    If one of my full backups fails, I have 6 other full backups in reserve.
    If all seven backup files fail (almost impossible), I still have my archived snapshots to get back in business.
    One daily backup and one archive is enough to have all that.
    Unfortunately FDISR doesn't allow schedules on-demand, so I have to do it all by myself every day. I can't work with time-related schedules, because I'm never there when it is time. An optional password would be also better for home users.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  11. Peter2150

Again Chris no disrespect intended, but thihe killdisk thing is highly over rated in my mind, and just keeps coming up because.... well because Rollback seemlingly bested FDISR. But it is an illusion.

1. I wouldn't depend on either program(FDISR or Rollback) to protect me from malious software. I use a layered strategy of security software for that.

2. Losing the current snapshot in either program would be just as bad. I update all backups and snapshots daily. But losing my active snapshot right after lunch, after the busiest time of my business day, would be bad. Ergo neither program helps

3. Okay so killdisk didn't get all the snapshots. Comforting. Nope. The next one probably will. Thats why backups are important. Backups on an external drive, that is off most of the time.

4. Finally so the reader fully understands the difference, right now you can keep FDISR archives on the external drive, and these can help you recover. Right now with just the Recovery CD's that came with my system and an external FDISR Archive, I can restore my system to the time of the archive. Rollback has no such feature. Yes they are working on it, but first they have to deliver it, and then it has to prove reliable.

Chris, again no offense, but I'll stand by my original post.

Cheers,

Pete

PS Let me add one final thought, and I am curious how many might agree. This killdisk thing was done by a member as a test. Indeed this always provides useful, if not contraversial, information. But I would suspect in reality, the user that gets hit with Killdisk or it's like, probably won't have backups, won't have either Rollback or FDISR, and probably no current security software. He also is likely to not be a careful surfer, or have family members who aren't.

12. wilbertnl

Your reasoning is hilarious, ErikAlbert.

Ifd/Ifw are a problem for you because you need to reactivate the preboot function in FD-ISR.
    Killdisk is no problem when you have to rebuild your system. :eek: (which you do by using a disk image)
    As Aigle tested: When Killdisk infects a EF/RB installation, all you need to do is restore to the previous snapshot.

I suggest that you consider a carreer in politics!

Well, FD-ISR wins concerning disk images. If the Killdisk test is overrated, isn't a lot more overrated too?
    Wouldn't you agree that you and I and most of the other forum members take actions on our system that regular computer users don't?
    You have your experience with KAV beta. You require disaster strategies that are beyond regular use of a home computer.
    I would think that regular home computers can survive with just FD-ISR or EF/RB, and to me it seems that EF/RB is easier in use for regular users.

13. ErikAlbert

LOL. Is that IFD/IFW-issue still bothering you ? That is just information for me, not a reason to get personal.
    You are way too emotional regarding softwares. They are just tools to do something, nothing more than that.
    Besides that, mods don't like it when members get too personal.
    Getting personal is a waste of time, just say your opinion and I will read it and reply if I have another opinion.

Regarding killdisk, there are security softwares to kill it, so what's the point.
    Aigle infected his computer intentionally to show the results and it's good to know that FDISR failed and RB/EF didn't.
    That is just interesting information for me. Do you really think, I'm going to ditch FDISR for just ONE malware and use RB/EF instead ? That doesn't make any sense.
    Will it make you happier if I use RB/EF and IFW/IFD ? Why does that bother you so much ? I don't want RB/EF and IFW/FD on my computer and if you like them, use them and defend them. I have no problem with that.

14. Peter2150

A lot of the threats are overated, IF you are prepared, and you are correct I have an above average requirement. As to which of the recovery programs are easier for the average home user, I'd have to vote for neither. Just backup seems to be a daunting concept.:D

15. wilbertnl

Since you asked:
    What would make me happy is that when anyone here states "this works for me", that you control your need for arguments beyond reason and your need for the final word.
    Or is this request too emotional?

16. ErikAlbert

wilbernl,
    Talk about softwares, not about members. Believe me it's better this way. :)

17. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

lol funny thread. everyone gettin too emotional here. talk about gettin off topic :rolleyes:

18. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

That is right. It is all about SOFTWARE, and everybody is entitled to their own view. This forum is sooooo helpful so please lets talk about software and keep emotions and personal differences out of it.
    Thankyou.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.