New version FirstDefense-ISR Professional v1.10.173

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by King FN Kong, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

2. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

yeh. havnt seen anyone post here from leapfrog like that in the nod32 forum, they got someone from eset. i used to think albert worked for leapfrog.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Peter & Acadia,
    That's the problem with devoted fans of each software. They are so blinded by the goodness of the software, that they don't see anything wrong anymore. A fan doesn't think in the right proportions anymore and everything is GOOD. They don't even like bad remarks on their products and they have a good excuse for everything what is wrong.

I'm not a fan of any software, they are just tools for me to do something on my computer, like I need a chair to sit down.
    What is working fine is normal to me, because that's what I expected and what isn't good catches my attention.
    I bought FDISR, because it has more good than bad, but that doesn't mean I will keep my mouth shut about the bad stuff.

Even the support of Raxco is praised into heaven like God. I consider good support as normal and if their support is really that good they will read the wish-list of the users.
    When we buy software for our mainframe, any improvement that still needs to be done is mentioned in a contract, because these softwares cost alot more than $70.
    I never mix feelings with softwares, I keep them for people. :)

4. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Does the latest version support other programs like PGP whole disk encryption or WinRollback that modifies the MBR? I had read that some experiments were done by Leapfrog to try to support this.

Thanks.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik, you are getting confused. Raxco doesn't read the wish list because they aren't the developer. They don't make changes to the software. The time delay between leapfrog release and Raxco release, is for Raxco to further test, and also train their people so they can support FDISR. However, when serious issues or bugs are found, even though I work with Raxco, they may have to work with the developer, IE Leapfrog.

I don't consider myself a "fanboy". I was more than willing to try, and gave Rollback a chance. It just didn't prove itself out, nor was it as easy to work with in my work schemes.

If someone wants to complain fine, but to me the minor annoyances are so small in comparison with what FDISR has done for me, it just isn't worth worrying about.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Leapfrog Software aka Todd posts here from time to time, and he is from Leapfrog.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I agree with all that, but it does seem to be taking them a long time from the first release after v.166 by Leapfrog in June. v8 of PD is out, and they must have tested FD-ISR against that at least.

As to training their support people, I doubt much extra has to be taught as the product itself hasn't changed a great deal other than compression. Only new staff may need training.

I'm sure they do collaborate with the developer, and this may be why we see Leapfrog are up to v.173 now. It's possible Raxco have come across bugs, which Leapfrog have since fixed.

Last year, Raxco had a release dated in August, and the next release came out in December, just over a month after Leapfrog released a newer version in the November. That was a shorter time-frame to now.

Having said all that, perhaps sometime after SP1 of PD is released, we may see a new version of FD-ISR on their site. Whatever happens, the present Raxco version (v.166) is stable, and that is enough for the time being. :)

8. ErikAlbert

It doesn't matter to me, who reads what, Leapfrog or Raxco is not my business. If they like it complicated that's their choice. As a user I know only ONE company and that is Raxco and since Raxco works with Leapfrog, I hope they COMMUNICATE with eachother and if Raxco doesn't read our wishlist, I would consider this as a lack of interests.

RollbackRx/EazFix is NOT a replacement for me. I stick to FDISR. Both softwares are TOO different and can't be the same, they just look the same.

Minor annoyances ? I don't think so. Only the minor problems were mentioned in this thread and these are very easy to fix in the next version along with compression, if they WANT it to happen.
    The problem here is that members, who don't use certain functions are not interested in improvements of these functions and that is a wrong attitude, but I don't want to quarrel about this. I know what I'm talking about and that's enough for me.
    I will wait just like anybody else, because I'm forced to wait and I can't do anything about it, than begging, which isn't my style. :)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If they don,t fix trivial things that obviously don,t need a lot of work, I don,t expect them to add new features that need obviously much more work.
    U are unimpressed from my example, that is quite understandable as u are already more than satisfied with FDISR.

10. wilbertnl

Both FD-ISR and eazFix/Rollback RX are excellent products. And none of these products is perfect.
    We all made a choice and installed the product that fits us best.

It doesn't make sense to send negative messages and make criticizing statements in a forum that is intended to help each other in a supportive way. If you think that you are qualified to cricitize, then you are qualified to do better than that.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. ErikAlbert

In other words everybody has to keep his mouth shut. No complaints whatsoever. Pffft.
    As far as I remember you fixed certain issues of EazFix yourself or was that different, because YOU did it.
    I only want to improve FDISR, because that is my EazFix.
    Or are you going to ban me from Leapfrog forum as well, like you did in the RollbackRx/EazFix threads ? :)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u think criticisim is not helpful? It doesn,t make sense to me.

14. wilbertnl

What is more helpful:
    1. Just criticize and emphasize weaknesses of software in a forum.
    2. Acknowledge problems and report them to the developers. And besides that in the forum help with finding workarounds.

What do you think?

People visit a forum because they hope for some solution/information concerning a software problem.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u can say next time if anyone tells about a bug of a software without giving the solution at the same time, he is just criticizing rather than helping.
    I think we are in the official forum of the software.

So u think they should not know any inforamtion about the possible lapses/ improvements in a software?

16. Peter2150

That is a gray area. Yes this is an official Leapfrog forum, and yet Leapfrog doesn't directly provide support. That is somewhat unusual.

17. ErikAlbert

aigle,
    Don't waste your time anymore, they will never understand us.
    FDISR is perfect, the support is perfect and we don't want to hurt Leapfrog/Raxco's feelings.
    That's the general attitude in this Leapfrog forum : total adoration, idolization and devotion.
    All the rest doesn't matter and don't tell anything bad, because you will be crucified. :rolleyes:

18. Peter2150

Erik

You are taking this to the extreme. First, sure problems need to be discussed. There have been bugs found, and these get dealt with, but given the software's performance and utility, not likeing something about the way right click works, when it may well have been designed that way to avoid confusion, just doesn't rise to the level I can get concerned about. I agree with you about a couple of things I wish were defaulted differentlly, but even those given the overall time this program saves me, just don't rise to that level either.

I suspect the reason Todd set this forum up was to have a place where Leapfrog(regardless of vendor) users could gather. It is not a Raxco forum, Raxco choses not to use forums, I suspect, because many of it's users are corporate, and as such they aren't going to monitor these forums or read a wish list here, especially, since they don't design or develop this software. You might not like this, but that doesn't matter, as complaining won't change it. That makes complaining about it a waste. If you want to change this, or try, write Raxco.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

No, we're not saying keep quiet. If you're having problems with the program, share them. If you have suggestions for future releases, share them -- most notably in the Wish List already mentioned. Todd put it there for that very reason. He reads it -- the fact he doesn't reply to every single comment in that thread is immaterial. If suggestion 'x' is workable, it'll be added to a future release, and then one can say "hey, that was my suggestion, well cool!" :)

20. ErikAlbert

These improvements are already shared in the wishlist and I don't need any appreciation from anybody, I just want it fixed and even pay for the upgrade. :)

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thank you, Tony, gonna wait for the weekend.

Acadia

23. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Was thinking of giving FDISR a try so I grazed and found this thread - and what an eyeopener it was! I've trialled a lot of "security" software and I'm interested in both what it does and how it does it. If I accept what wilbertnl and Peter2150 say, then it effectively works. That's what it does.

I'm afraid that I'm also interested in the "how it does it" part as well. That includes (amongst other things) bug free code and the user interface through which I interact.

If I select a file in Explorer, then right click to view its properties, I don't want a selection menu that gives me the same choices again. To Peter2150 the right click issue and other "minor annoyances are trivial" but to me (and others here) its simply very, very sloppy code that should be fixed. I am amazed that release version software could be so obviously flawed in the front end. What it also says to me is that detail is not being attended to - if it happens at the front end is the underlying code a bit loose as well?

Too much of this so called "security" software is released without subsequent timely revision. A lot of it is particularly unaproachable and not particularly user friendly. Minor annoyances can become a major issue with repeated use.

There is no reason why what it does and how it does it cannot be jointly addresed. What I can't figure out is whether its Leapfrog as the developer or Raxco or some other reseller that one deals with.

I'll just give it a miss I think.

24. wilbertnl

Could it be the other way around?

How about the back end being solid and the front end not getting the same amount of attention?
    I suspect that functions are added to accommodate the requests from users. If you think of Immediate System Recovery, then you could take away 75% of the interface and it still will function as intended.

25. ErikAlbert

FirstDefense-ISR is NOT a security software in any way, its main function is "Immediate System Recovery" (= ISR), a much better replacement for Windows System Restore, because FDISR is able to recover your system partition before Windows even starts during reboot. Same for RollbackRx and EazFix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.