New Version causing start up problems

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Cindylu, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindylu

Cindylu Registered Member

I just installed the new version of Ewido yesterday and after shutting down my laptop and restarting it later in the day, I got no taskbar on start up. I am not running Ewido on start up because I only want to use it for manual scanning.

I tried to use Task Mgr for a restart but it hung so I had to just hold down the off button. I then started it up again and it started okay.

This morning I had the EXACT same occurrence. My laptop started again with just the desktop image and NO taskbar, no start button, nothing. I had to shut down using off button and restart. Very aggravating and time consuming.

This problem began right after installing the NEW version of Ewido. Any idea what's causing this? I am using Win XP SP2, Norton Int Sec 2006. The old version of Ewido didn't cause any problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cindylu

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

In NIS 2006, under Personal Firewall, Programs tab, is ewido anti-spyware present with Permit All? If not, manually add ewido.exe which is located in the ewido folder C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0 and give it "permit all" permission to access the Internet.

Unfortunately when you reboot your computer, ewido immediately starts checking for a new update. This is done before other programs get loaded and before your NIS 2006 firewall gets up and running. This is probably what is hanging you up on reboot.

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Btw, if you are running a dial-up connection, it is probably best not to have the option selected to automatically download updates because it could cause problems on computer reboot if there is no network connection for ewido to immediately use. This is on the page that you get when you click on the Update icon on the main window of ewido.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.