New variant of mydoom detected

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Lisa, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Hi Everyone,
    Please ensure you have latest updates as there has just been detected a new variant of mydoom (mydoom.b).
    As detected by Kaspersky Antivirus (3.05pm GMT)

Taking Kaspersky Lab total to 80988 known viruses detected.

Regards
    Lisa KL UK

2. JayK

JayK Poster

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/68569/1/.html
    - Edit by LWM: added URL tags.

Says " HELSINKI : The Mydoom.B computer virus spreads by users opening their e-mail, even if they leave attachments closed, making it more virulent than its predecessors, Mikko Hyppoenen, of Finnish anti-virus firm F-Secure, told AFP.

"Some variants of the Mydoom.B version will run automatically from the e-mail, it's enough to just open and read the mail," Hyppoenen said Thursday.

Advertisement

In the first version of the bug, recipients of corrupted e-mails only ran the risk of infection if they opened attachments.

"It will cause it to spread quite quickly," Hyppoenen said.

First detected Wednesday evening, the latest variant also uses a backdoor function of the first version to update itself and attack more computers.

"

WTF?? So if i just open the email and not the attachment i get infected?? Even if I was not infected before? Regardless of my email client?

We are all dead then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.