New V5 Problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Jenee, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I wonder why the V4 download is so well hidden. I tried to go back to it to fix the network problems but the V4 download link on the website just downloads V5.

2. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I initially did this but it made no difference. I have a network printer which operates via an ip address and it has never been blocked.
    It has something to do with the Web Discovery Service because, without that, no pc can find any other pc within the network. In my setup, one Web Discovery rule says "block" but under the Trusted Zone it has a tick but when I toggle the rules, the same rule is now blocking everything.

3. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Marcos
    I have replied to your pm but have had no response. I am unable to copy and paste the files into my pm as it comes up with an error when I send and I cannot attach the files as there is no facility to do so.

4. Deviant1

Deviant1 Registered Member

I, too, have been using ESET SS for years and also experienced a lot of complications with the software. Many of the problems were similar to Jenee's. The firewall was constantly having pop-ups with errors such as port sniffing attacks. Upon seeing those, I went back and made sure that the "allow sharing" option was ticked. I also added all of my network devices to the trusted zone list. I've tried adding my entire home network range and constantly had difficulties with it blocking applications that were normally allowed access to my other home network devices under v.4. I also added individual application access only to still have complications with those bits of software reaching out past the firewall. All (manually added) addresses in the trusted zone would continuously be blocked according to the firewall log, regardless of how many different rules I tried to create to allow them access (not all created for the same network devices at once, just many different methods that I would configure if the previous rule didnt work). I have had zero problems configuring my home network with v.4.

These problems weren't limited to just one pc, but all five of the ones I own. For installation of V.5, I originally tried to upgrade the software. Upon initial complications with the software, I uninstalled the software completely and then reinstalled. The problems were consistent across the board for all my computer devices. All computers affected were running Windows 7 Ultimate (four of which are x64, one is x86, some wireless, some wired). I have since uninstalled V.5 and luckily keep backups of most all of my software once it proves to be stable, so was able to use a recent version of V.4 to reinstall to all the devices. All systems are back stable. Not sure what the problem is with V.5, but I wont be using it until it is fixed. There is definitely a bug in the software it would seem.

BTW- I love ESET and wouldnt consider switching from them, so I hope this doesnt come across as a bash against ESET. All software companies have bugs from time to time, especially with a new version release, so I completely understand. I just thought I'd post my similar complications to make the problem known (also would be willing to provide a more detailed description of the errors if anyone needs that info). Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Port scan attacks have never turned up to be reported falsely. It's always been either a device (router, printer, etc.) that scanned for available remote ports which triggered the detection. In order to disable IDS within TZ, add the TZ subnet to the list of addresses excluded from active protection (IDS) in the zone setup.

6. Deviant1

Deviant1 Registered Member

Hmm, I might have to eat my words, then. I tried adding all devices to the TZ through many various methods, but not exempt from IDS. That might very well be the problem... I do find it a bit strange that V4 didnt require this configuration, though.

The device that was constantly blocked was my WHS 2011. Since I couldnt use it with V5, V5 became useless to me. Especially considering the remote features of the server became one of my favorite features (I can remote other ways, that was just the most convenient with all my devices in one location as well as the WOL conveniences!). I'll reinstall V5 on my primary desktop and then add the subnet to the excluded IDS list. If that works, I thank you very much for the information.

7. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

The problem is your attitude (should have posted this weeks ago)!

Do not post Trolling BS if you have nothing constructive to say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.