New User....

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by callthedoctor, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callthedoctor

callthedoctor Registered Member

Hello all.....

After having dialup for 10 years or so, I finally jumped on the DSL Bandwagon and of course have been concerned about security.

After demo'ing KAV and NOD...finally settled in and purchased KAV....

My firewall decision has been much tougher....

I started with Outpost, then ZAP, then Sygate and now am demo-ing Kerio 2.1.5....

Can't seem to find what I want and to boot, don't really know what I want.

OP seem ok (Great logs), I liked ZAP (nice features) but he wife didn't, said it nagged her too much....Sygate was also nice...and don't like the Kerio....which seems a little basic...didn't try the new 4v because I heard it was pretty buggie....

I'm getting ready to trial LNS and was wondering what to look for the might sway me between all these FW's....IOW, WHY DO YOU LIKE LNS.

My primary box is a TBird Athlon 800 running W2KP....using ADSL modem and DLink 604 - NAT router to another 3.0 P4/HT XPHome machine.

Thanks in advance for your replies....

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

From my experience with lns it is the lowest on resources for a firewall, and gets along well with other apps. All that besides the point that during my own personal testing of various firewalls it is the most secure firewall over significant others.
    Welcome to Wilders forums

3. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Why use LnS?

(1) No apparent conflicts with other software
    (2) Uses very small amount of resources
    (3) Passes all stealth tests at least on my computer
    (4) By using "enhanced rule set" option[which is needed to achieve (3)] becomes a set and forget firewall as far as inbound connections are concerned
    (5) Has outgoing application control (some SFWs such as 8 Signs, a.k.a. Visnetic, do not have it and you must use another program such as Security System Monitor).
    (6) Does very well on firewall leak tests (testing ability of programs to take over outbound connections) see http://www.firewallleaktester.com.
    (7) No charge, so far, for program upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.