New user

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hkbs, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

I have just purchased and installed TI 10 (and got update 4942). I have made a bootable CD.
    When I tried a full backup, I decided to put the tib file on my E: drive (I have C and D drives of 40 gb each and an E drive of 80gb which I use mainly for storing mp3 files and photographs).
    I thought it would be better to put the tib file on a CD/DVD but Nero would not accept it.
    I would also like to know if I should set up a secure zone.

Sorry if this is very basic but I am totally new to this!

Thanks.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

More clarification ... what do you mean by Nero not accepting it? Was the file too large to fit on a DVD? If so, when you make the image on to your E drive, you should specify a split size that would fit on a dvd disc. Many users recommend a split size of 1492 Mb (easy to remember if you live in the USA). Three of these chunks would fit on one dvd disc with little waste.

Since you have a separate drive to hold the Backup Images, I definitely wouldn't set up a SZ.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Hi hkbs

My own preference is to make full images only ( no incremental or differential) to
    another partition or external drive - never direct to CD or DVD. I would forget all about Acronis Secure zone, backing up my docs, application settings or e-mail.
    Have one partition for Windows and one partition for my docs/data.

If you want to store an image on DVD I would argue that making the image to another partition AND then using NERO to burn that image to DVD will give you a better burn. Acronis have only included the direct to DVD to give the buying public what they want ( even if its no good for them).

For most daily imaging the best solution is full image direct to an external USB - prices are now so low that I have long since stopped using DVD.

good luck

4. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

Thanks so much for your replies. To add a bit more info:

I actually have only one 160gb hard drive on my PC, partitioned as C (40gb, D (40gb) and E (80gb).

When I ran Acronic 10, I decided to back up C and D drives onto E (having the most space). The tib file is about 6gb.

I thought I should save this to DVD but don't know how to specify a split size to fit onto a DVD. Nero just said I should use UDF rather than ISO (??)

Should I be thinking of getting a new drive, either internal or external?

If I just do a full backup as suggested by Long View, how can I ensure later details are backed up.

Thanks

5. Long View

If your image is 6 gig it will not fit onto a normal DVD.
    So when you make an image you will need to change the settings. when you get to the screen which says - use default options or set the options manually chhose manually and change archive splitting to say 4.7 g or a bit less to be safe. You will then get an image backup in 2 parts to allow you to burn them to DVD.

when I said I do a full backup I meant I do a full back up every time.

every few days I make a full back up of my system and programs partition - the compressed size is about 3 gig. EVERY day I make a full image of my DATA partition. Over time I simply delete old images to make room. As external drives are getting cheaper I have a number of drives so if one image failed I would always have spares.

Another point - I always keep 3 full system images on a partition on the machine. If the hard drive crashes then of course these are no good. BUT if I simply want to remove something I regret installing then it is the quickest way
    using Acronis - far, far quicker then from DVD.

If you want to use DVD then I would say it is best for Off site storage of data and systems - with external USB as better for everyday use

6. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

Thanks very much for your reply. I will try the suggestions and let you know how I get on.

7. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

I decided to buy an external hard drive - a Seagate FreeAgent 320gb. (There was no software or instructions with it.)

I did a full PC backup via Acronis to the FreeAgent. As I said previously, I only have one drive on my PC, partitioned into C, D and E drives.

When I view the backup files on the external drive, a folder is shown as "backup.tib" but then I can see the actual files - I thought they would suitable for recovery only.

Does this mean that I don't have to copy my folders onto the external drive for storage? Would I just be able to drag a file back from the backup to my PC?

TIA

8. Long View

hkbs

if you look at the Backup.tib file and go right mouse you will see various options.
    one of the options is to mount the image. This will set up a vitual drive ( in my computer should have a yellow band) and allow you to copy back individual files from wherever you have stored the tib file.
    when you have finished you then right mouse on the virtual drive in my computer and unmount.

In future I would also label each image rather than just use backup.
    so if today I imaged my C: drive I would call it 2007 09 05 system.tib and then I would store it on the external drive for safety

9. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

Thanks for the advice.
    My backup.tib file is on my external device -this is where I set it up in the Acronis backup options. I can see the options (mount the image, etc) but I think you are talking about a virtual drive on the PC (My Computer). Is this correct? Do I copy back a chosen file and then unmount?
    Do I still need to drag and drop files from my PC to my external hard drive for storage as well as the backup?
    Sorry if this is all a bit elementary but I am new to both Acronic and and external hard drive!

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

One thing you might find helpful if you ever need to recover your images (you have made a rescue CD haven't you :) ), is to give all your partitions names.

The recovery CD uses Linux, and the drive letters in Linux do not reflect what you see in Windows, where as of course the drive labels/names would be the same - just makes restoring especially if you only need to restore 1 partition so much easier.

Colin

11. Long View

open My computer - open your external drive -- right mouse on the t.b and mount. You will then see a new "virtual" drive listed in my comupter. open this
    new drive and you can copy any file you want. Then unmount when you are finished

12. hkbs

hkbs Registered Member

Thanks so much for all your help.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.