New user - Want to use automated firewall but WinVNC doesn't work

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kenton, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenton

kenton Registered Member

I just installed the 30-day trial of ESET Personal Security.

I use WinVNC a lot to remote into my computer, and in ESET's default configuration it blocks WinVNC.

If I use the interactive firewall mode I can get WinVNC to work but the thing is I want to use the automated-make-choices-for-me firewall option but I want it to ignore everything WinVNC related.

I don't want to worry about putting computers I might use into trusted zones because I'm rarely VNC'ing from the same location. So, basically..

Can I set it up to use automated firewall but ignore everything VNC related?

Thanks for your help! I look forward to freeing myself of Norton :thumb:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, create the appropriate rules in the interactive mode
    2, switch to the policy-based mode
    3, enable the rules "Allow all outbound traffic" and "Block all unknown inbound traffic"

3. kenton

kenton Registered Member

Is that what I really want to do?

I ask because it seems like if I put it in policy-based mode, it'll block everything without a rule. Meaning say I install XYZ program and that program wants to connect to the Internet, will it be automatically blocked (based on it has no policy/rule) or will it connect if ESET deems it not a risk?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's why it's necessary to create the appropriate rules you need, for other communications the 2 general rules will be applied. I too use the policy-based mode without a single problem.

5. kenton

kenton Registered Member

Policy-based mode did exactly what I suspected -- allowed VNC but blocked everything foreign.

For example, I opened mIRC and AdAware SE -- both of these programs (first run under ESET's suite) and they were instantly disallowed internet access. This was under policy-based mode.

One would think, that since mIRC/AdAware are safe programs -- would be allowed internet access automatically.

Should it have? For now, I'm running in the intrusive mode where it pops up but with enough "Allow" and "Remember this" -- they'll eventually go away. Just didn't want to have to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.